Sara (LitHacker.com)'s Reviews > Before I Fall

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 03 to 22, 2012

WOW! I read and reviewed Lauren Oliver's 2nd book DELIRIUM last week and really didn't like it and couldn't figure out what all the hype was about this author and her first book BEFORE I FALL and it made me reluctant to even try reading it. Boy, was I surprised and delighted about how good BEFORE I FALL is.

The book has a positive blurb from Jay Asher (of 13 REASONS WHY) and has been compared to THE LOVELY BONES, but BEFORE I FALL is way better than either of those works (and I enjoyed them). The book had the potential to be gimmicky - popular Samantha dies in a car accident at the end of chapter 1, and then relives her last day on earth seven more times. I expected the book to be very formulaic, but it wasn't at all: each new chapter Samantha makes radically different choices for different reasons and ends up with results that were unexpected both to her and the reader. While it is never explicitly stated, the reader gets the idea that Sam keeps reliving the same day over and over again to give her the chance to make up for using her popularity in mean-spirited ways, but there is no easy redemption for Sam, just different choices with different consequences.

I appreciated that all of the characters in the book were portrayed in shades of gray and that this wasn't just another "Mean Girls who see the light" kind of book. Life isn't that simple and people are more complicated than that.

This book references the movie GROUNDHOG DAY and the comparisons are obvious, but I daresay that BEFORE I FALL is an even more emotionally true, satisfying story than that wonderful movie. READ IT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Fall.

04/21/2012 page 50