Craig's Reviews > The Exiled Queen

The Exiled Queen by Cinda Williams Chima

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, youngadult
Read in April, 2012

No real improvement from the first book. I realize that a lot of fiction (esp. fantasy or other adventure genres) relies on the occasional horror movie ploy of telling the teen stranded in a spooky house not to open the basement door and then that's the first thing they do, but man, it happens in these books every few pages. So much stupidity in those who are supposed to be heroes. It also uses one I haven't seen often before these books (probably because it's a really awful writing tactic and is corrected by an editor) - when your hero gets in a tight spot, just invent a new skill/power for them to possess at incredibly high levels that hasn't ever been mentioned before and that has no rational reason for them to have previously acquired. Yeah, it's pretty awful. *But* I still have nothing else to read and have the 3rd book checked out from the library, so, contrary to all good reader (and my usual) practice, I'll probably go on to it, if only to see what happens in the plot. I do expect to do a *lot* of skimming though.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exiled Queen.