A Book Vacation's Reviews > Tomorrow Land

Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi

Apr 04, 12

Read from April 03 to 04, 2012

I was blown away by this novel. While initially confused by the back and forth nature of the story, each chapter alternating between the past and present, by chapter four I had figured out this writing technique and found myself quickly falling in love with it. Instead of giving the reader all the information up front, or glossing over the past in order to write the present, Marcusi alternates between the past and present to divulge this beautiful story of the zombie apocalypse. This technique also helped build suspense as Peyton and Chase touched upon certain elements in the present that weren’t yet fully explained in the past, allowing the reader to begin piecing facts together and come to his/her own conclusions before Marcusi hands them the truth. I really enjoyed this, and found that Marcusi did a phenomenal job stringing the reader along, giving him/her just enough information to fit the puzzle pieces together correctly, while also keeping the reader’s interest as this tale of love and survival unfolds. And I loved every minute of it.

What I really liked about this novel, more than anything else, was being able to watch Peyton and Chase fall in love twice, four years apart. Through our glimpses into the past, and our knowledge of the present, Marcusi gives the reader a true love story chalked full of mystery, suspense, and intrigue as the characters strive to make it to the rendezvous point and, ultimately, save mankind.

Peyton’s ex-scientist father is “crazy,” and his non-stop talk of the end of the world, along with his strict training of Peyton set the tone for this amazing novel. Having the ability to equip his daughter with the technology and parts she’ll need to survive, including retractable razorblades in her fingertips, GPS, and permanent contact lenses allowing her to see in all light and pick up heat sensations around her, this novel is sure to be a hit with all readers, young and old. I wasn’t expecting this kick-butt addition to the novel, but found it ultimately amazing and am eager to read this wonderful novel again...

To see my full review upon release (4/10:

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow Land.

04/04/2012
04/04/2012
50.0% "I love how each chapter alternates between past and present. Very unique and an awesome way to tell a story!!!"