Mom's Reviews > Crooked Little Heart

Crooked Little Heart by Anne Lamott

F_50x66
Apr 03, 12

Read in April, 2012

Another coming-of-age story -- this time of a 13 year old tennis player named Rosie. Not much to say about this book. As always, Anne Lamott's writing is beautiful, with many many passages that beg to be reread and copied out. She writes, too, with the humor and sensitivity that are hallmarks of her writing.

BUT, the characters are stereotypes, not anyone you'd care about, except for the two girls, Rosie and Symone. Rosie's mother, Elizabeth, is absurdly immature and angst-ridden; I just wanted to yell at her, "well, grow up!" There is way too much tennis-talk in the book, with terms not explained and therefore meaningless to many of us readers. And I thought the relationship between Rosie and her mother was unrealistic -- how many 13 year olds crawl onto their mother's laps, or climb into bed with mom and dad, or spend so much time just the two of them.... If there had been a major tragedy, sure, but not during normal times.

So, a good book to read for the descriptions and language, if you don't really care about character or realistic plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Little Heart.