Mark's Reviews > Dancing After Hours

Dancing After Hours by Andre Dubus

Apr 10, 12

Read from April 03 to 09, 2012

There are fourteen stories here, about love, fidelity, desire and loss. Intertwined with these tales are four linked snapshots of a single couple, called Ted and LuAnn, as they meet, marry and deal with the struggles of marital life.
Dubus is a fine writer, evoking Raymond Carver and Richard Yates and completely understands this distinctive story form. His prose is strong and deft, if just a touch cold around the edges.
“The earth itself was leaving with her sad and pitying husband, was drawing away from her. Stars fell. That was a song, and music would never again be lovely; it was gone with the shattering stars and coldly dying moon, the trees of such mortal green; gone with life itself.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing After Hours.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Lipko great review Mark!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways What Linda said.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura What Richard said.

Mark Thanks guys! That's what Mark said! Anyone else read Dubus or his son?

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Lipko Linda said, no I haven't read this author yet...I imagine I have a copy of one of his books in the stacks and stacks of books throughout the house...

Now, if only I could find it.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Not yet, but they're on my short list of to-read authors. Of course, that list is ridiculously long, but I'm hopeful that it'll be some time in the next year or two.

Mark Richard- Yes, that was one of his son's books. Did you like it? I have it but have not read it.
I have read The Garden of Last Days & his memoir Townie, which was excellent. And that's where I learned about his father.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Lipko Let me get this straight...The father was a townie?

message 10: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark Townie was his son, Andre III, who's most famous book was his debut House of Sand and Fog. In Townie, I learned that his father was a well-respected writer and friends with Vonnegut, among others. This lead to Dancing After Hours. Clear enough, or no?

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Lipko opps..I was kidding...sorry for not prefacing this.

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark No problem. It does get confusing with the same names.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I thought "Sand and Fog" was a terrible book, beautifully written, but the story was just so Darryl-y that I wanted to hang myself after I read it. Terrible. Beautiful. Harrowing.

message 14: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark Thanks Rd- It looks like I might have to try it. LOL.