Ezmirelda's Reviews > Pure

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: mythology, unoriginal, romance
Read in April, 2012

**************CAUTION, BELOW CONTAINS SPOILERS************

I went into this book wanting to like it and enjoy it. And I did, I loved it. The tension had me on edge. Seth was amazing and I loved him. Aidan was kind of annoying but I loved him too. I really really wanted to read this book without constantly having the sinking feeling that I’ve already read it before, except written by a different author and with a different name (Vampire Academy). The second book of the Half Blood series was rumored to be more original than the first and because I loved the author’s writing and enjoyed the humor in the first book I wanted to give Book 2 a shot despite my annoyance with book 1.

Unfortunately……

The similarity crisis strikes again!

Okay, I’ve given up on trying to separate the two. From now on I will be calling the main character Alexrose because, honestly, they are so alike they might as well be the same person. Also, might as well throw in Aidimitri since Aiden and Dimitri are sometimes even more alike than Alex & Rose are. Just to make this a lot less confusing, cuz I honestly mixed them up throughout the entire book.

Aidimitri breaks Alexrose’s heart by saying they can’t be together anymore because they would get in trouble when the higher ups found out and he lies and tells her he doesn’t love her. *Aww* Now I gave this the benefit of the doubt because a great majority of paranormal YA novels have this type of situation, and honestly I saw this coming from book 1. He leads her on all throughout the book and then he goes cold on her when he realizes he's lost control of his mask. (Again, classic YA paranormal sophomore novel).

Caleb/ Mason (Alexrose’s best male friend) dies and Alexrose is left emotionally scarred (Book 2 of vampire academy, anyone? This one shocked me senseless. It was the first sign that this book would not go Vampire-Academy-less like I hoped it would).

It turns out Lea/ Mia who is a PURE can actually fight. Really…are you kidding me? No no, no, no, no, this is definitely not a coincidence! Mia/Lea, the mean girl Pure, can somehow now fight off Daimons/Strigoi after her parents died? Please.

Alexrose then goes to council/court where all the Pures/Moroi’s hate her except for one, which leads me into the next one that threw me over the edge:

Introducing the newest stolen character: Laaden AKA Tasha, the only Pure/ Moroi who doesn’t hate all the Halfs/Dhampirs. She also turns out to (might) be evil. Wow! You had me there, I did NOT see that coming. At all. (Very heavy sarcasm there, in case you didn’t notice).

Then Alexrose gets an aphrodisiac drink (*cough* necklace) that makes her lusty and she almost ends up going all the way with Seth. (Again, Vampire Academy all over again)

Meanwhile, the supernatural bond between Alexrose and Sethalisa (Seth + Lisa) is growing and they’re starting to be able to sense each other’s thoughts and feelings. And whenever Sethalisa is with a person intimately Alexrose can sense it. (Remember the whole Lisa + Chrsitian thing where Alexrose would see every time they were having an intimate moment. Yup Sethalisa for sure guys)

Each time these things came up and I kept banging my head against a wall. But, I loved the book and could not stop reading it!

I’m starting to think the only reason I like it is because I loved Vampire Academy. I feel kind of torn between wanting to be mad at this book for blatantly copying off of another, and seriously liking it for being so similar to a book I loved.

If you miss Vampire Academy, and you don’t mind head-banging similarities, would I recommend this book? Yeah.

BUT......
(now this is a very important but)

If you haven’t read all the Vampire Academy books I highly strongly recommend you read those first!

Why? Because Half-Blood isn’t nearly half as good as Vampire Academy was. In the VA series I liked the characters a lot better, the setting a lot better, and the plot way better. Everything felt more…alive in the Vampire Academy series.

Then after you've read it go on to read Half-Blood as a not-so-very-different not-so-different-at-all spin off series.
37 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.

Katie Haha I feel the exact same way! I wasn't too impressed by the last one just because of all the VA similarities, but at the same time, I'm like I should give Pure a try just see how it could deviate and be original. #firstworldproblems :')

message 2: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 05, 2012 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Audrey wrote: "Haha I feel the exact same way! I wasn't too impressed by the last one just because of all the VA similarities, but at the same time, I'm like I should give Pure a try just see how it could deviate..."

The VA similarities in the first book completely threw me off. At first I thought it was a joke. Like some sort of parody novel to the series, then afterward I found out it wasn't a parody/fan-fiction I felt really annoyed by it.

Katie Ezmirelda wrote: "But yeah, I want to give Pure a try too! I'm really curious about what will happen with the plot & characters."

I'll definitely look forward to your review!

Ezmirelda Audrey wrote: "Ezmirelda wrote: "But yeah, I want to give Pure a try too! I'm really curious about what will happen with the plot & characters."

I'll definitely look forward to your review!"

Have you started reading it yet? I read the first few pages and the writing is really refreshing. I love how funny Alex is. I have to put it on hold for awhile because I reading 2 other books now. Looking forward to reading your review too!

Amber at Fall Into Books I loved it. But I also loved Half-Blood, so I'm probably not a good one to ask, haha.

See, I didn't like Vampire Academy because I didn't like the narrator girl (can't remember her name). Therefore, I didn't want to be in her head. So I didn't really have that comparison. I LOVE the Bloodlines series, however. *shrugs*

message 6: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 06, 2012 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Amber wrote: "I loved it. But I also loved Half-Blood, so I'm probably not a good one to ask, haha.

I loved Half-Blood for everything except for it's unoriginality so you're the perfect person to ask. :)

Lol, a lot of people didn't like Rose. I think it's because she was so different in the first book. Her character changes a lot throughout the rest of the series though so by the second book her character didn't bother me at all. I just got Bloodlines a week ago and I've been meaning to read it for the longest time. What is the main premise of the story? I really can't tell anything by the vague summary.

Amber at Fall Into Books Ezmirelda wrote: "Amber wrote: "I loved it. But I also loved Half-Blood, so I'm probably not a good one to ask, haha.

Sydney, the Alchemist girl who helped Rose in Vampire Academy, is in trouble with the other Alchemists, but she wants to redeem herself. Also, if she doesn't go on this mission to help Jill, then they'll take her sister. She wants to protect her sister from this world as well as from some pervert creepo Alchemist who is heading the project. So she goes and let's just say mistakes are made and things are a bit of a disaster for a good part of the book. It keeps you on your toes for sure.

She's in this boarding school, sharing a room with Jill. And you know how Alchemists are supposed to hate vampires. She ends up caring about all of them, though, and she and Adrian almost become friends. From what I've read from VA fans, Sydney is a bit less exciting than Rose. I think she has a lot of room to grow as a character, but she is kind of rigid in this book. I read it as the whole nature v. nurture thing. Her nature says vampires are okay, the way she was raised tells her to hate them. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, for sure. I hope that helped some, haha. I ramble sometimes.

Ezmirelda Amber wrote: "Ezmirelda wrote: "Amber wrote: "I loved it. But I also loved Half-Blood, so I'm probably not a good one to ask, haha.

Ohh, so that's what it's about!
How does Adrian come into play in this book? Does he just pop up in her boarding school?
And yes, you helped tons. Thanks Amber :)

Amber at Fall Into Books No him and Jill have some freaky weirdo connection thing, so he's staying at some outcast vamp's house so he can be close by to her. They interact like siblings, but they can sense each other or something. It's weird and not fully explained in the book. I'm assuming we'll learn more as the series continues. I loved Adrian, though. :D

Ezmirelda Amber wrote: "No him and Jill have some freaky weirdo connection thing, so he's staying at some outcast vamp's house so he can be close by to her. They interact like siblings, but they can sense each other or so..."

Oh, so they have the same connection as Lisa and Rose do? Well that makes sense why he has to stay near to her.I loved Adrian in the Vampire Academy series. It'll be fun reading about him again. :)

Valeria Andrea You know, I like Seth MUCH more than Lisa. But, yeah, I don't really care anymore about the similarities, what for?

In the other hand, even if I liked the book, I HATED that nearly EVERY Alex/Aiden conv ended in a "Why can't you love me/You said you cared for me" from Alax & a "I can't Loveyou/I care for you/I L..." from Aiden. Who, BTW I don't trust very much after reading Deity blurb. I mean, OF COURSE Seth would be the liar, isn't that obvious? Or they are trying to confuse us...?

message 12: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 12, 2012 06:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Valeria wrote: "You know, I like Seth MUCH more than Lisa. But, yeah, I don't really care anymore about the similarities, what for?

I loved Seth WAYY more than Lisa too. I think my main reason for wanting to read this book was Seth. I only use Sethalisa because they have the same linking powers as Rose and Alex did.

Is Deity the next book in the series? I saw an excerpt of the next book at the end of Pure but I have't gotten to read it yet. Will have to check out the blurb.

Update:

So I just read the blurb. Yeah, Seth's obviously the who's the liar because Aiden already takes up the first "One that will do anything to protect her."
I think Seth's lying to her about the Apolyon transfer thing. But I'm not sure.

Valeria Andrea Jaja, I know, the similarities are... well, they are.

The bad thing is that I kinda like Seth now; I'd hate if something too bad happened him~ Maybe she'll become the gods killer & Aiden's eternal -& martyr like but worthy anyway- can, amm, root her in earth...? Jajaja

Noémy I like this series too probably because, as you put it, it reminds me so much of the VA series which I LOVE. I agree that there were a lot of similarities with VA in Half-Blood and yes I tried to convince myself that Pure was a bit more original (and I did think it had interesting ideas that weren't too related to VA which was GOOD) but I also made the same connections you did regarding a few things (C’s death being one of them and even bigger, the introduction of Laaden I too am sure she’s evil and I saw that one coming from a mile away. My guess is that she was in love with Alex’s dad. Oh and by the way speaking of her dad, I’m not the only one who realized who he was in the book, right ?). Alex is a good protagonist, although a bit annoying at times (especially in Pure) and some of the dialogue really had me cracking up. But all in all I like the VA story and whole set of characters better.
I will still continue reading the covenant series because I find JLA’s writing very entertaining and engrossing. Plus I think she writes good romance too ;D. But one thing that really bothers me though is that it’s supposed to be about Greek Mythology but I don’t find it to be a very prominent trait so far. It was better played out in Pure especially towards the end but to me it’s not enough. I know that will change after reading the synopsis of Deity but I wish we didn’t have to wait until the 3rd book for the Gods to make an appearance.
And on another note, you should definitely read Bloodlines (I might like it even better than VA). Adrian is one the main protagonists and he’s AWESOME :D

Ezmirelda Noémy wrote: "I like this series too probably because, as you put it, it reminds me so much of the VA series which I LOVE. I agree that there were a lot of similarities with VA in Half-Blood and yes I tried to c..."

You have a theory of who Alex's dad is? Please tell!
Okay, I really have to read Bloodlines--you're like the 5th person who's told me how good it was. *GASPS* Better than VA? I have to read it. Really really soon.

Yeah, by the end of Pure I was like, where is all of the mythology? And then it said in the book that when she was tagged they bit into her skin.....but how could they do that if they're NOT vampires? :/

Ezmirelda Valeria wrote: "Jaja, I know, the similarities are... well, they are.

I know! If something really bad happens to Seth I'd be so depressed.

message 17: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena I'm one of the angry ones that got totally pissed after reading Half-Blood. (Vampire Academy fan)
Should I read this one? Is the plot still similar, or is it worth it?

Ezmirelda Elena wrote: "I'm one of the angry ones that got totally pissed after reading Half-Blood. (Vampire Academy fan)
Should I read this one? Is the plot still similar, or is it worth it?"

The author said in an interview that Pure was less like Vampire Academy than the first book, but honestly, I'm just not seeing it. She took the major event in book 2 of Vampire Academy (The death of Mason) and put it in book 2 of her novel and somehow expected all of us to disregard that. I credit nearly all the plot of this book to Richelle Mead. The only thing that stood out to me as even remotely different was Seth--and even then she made it so that Alex and Seth have the same magical bond as Rose and Lisa did.

So if you're a Seth fan then you should read this book. If not then you'll feel like you're re-reading Frostbite.

message 19: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena I'm a Seth fan, but I was so outraged after reading Half-Blood. I don't know how this author can keep writing the same plot as Vampire Academy, and still say it's different. I even read an interview where apparently she said she hadn't even read it. It's ridiculous, seriously.

Noémy I know ! I haven't written my review of Pure yet but I don't like how the Daemons are portrayed either ! I'm sorry but they're just too vampire-like for my taste. They could have kept their appearance and be just as bad you know ? OK so SPOILER ALERT - I think Alex's dad was that Half-blood slave she kept running into at the Council and not a mortal at all like she was led to believe. And again i'm a 100% sure Laaden was in love with him and that's why she's so set against the Breed Order and I hadn't realized it while I was reading but if so, you're right it would be just like Tasha...I really hope this is one thing that will NOT end up in the next books. That will be way too much of a coincidence. I understand that in YA you're bound to find the same type of love stories, supernatural creatures and even characters in every book especially in the paranormal genre just not to that extent...But then I read them so i guess it works *sigh*

Bloodlines was great! I know that not everyone liked it because Sydney is a very different kind of narrator than Rose but somehow it made her a little bit more relatable. I really like her as a main protagonist, she's got so much room for growth in the next books and that's what's interesting. And Adrian who i liked in VA i just adore in Bloodlines ;D Just a warning though : there is no romance (at least none that matters) BUT the one I'm rooting for has the potential to be so intense and amazing (and better than rose's and dimitri's) that I just can't wait for it to happen !!!! You'll see ;D

Ezmirelda Elena wrote: "I'm a Seth fan, but I was so outraged after reading Half-Blood. I don't know how this author can keep writing the same plot as Vampire Academy, and still say it's different. I even read an intervie..."

In the interview I read she said she did read Vampire Academy, but after she had finished writing Half-Blood. But honestly, She could have gone back and edited it if she wanted to. Her book still wasn't published yet when she read VA.

message 22: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 14, 2012 08:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Noémy wrote: "I know ! I haven't written my review of Pure yet but I don't like how the Daemons are portrayed either ! I'm sorry but they're just too vampire-like for my taste. They could have kept their appeara..."

So the romance that you're rooting for does not have to do with Sydney? I went out and bought the the book a few days ago. Since I'm on spring break now I think I'll be reading it for the next few days. You've convinced me to put it on the top of my to-be-read pile. :)

Yeah, in my review of Half-Blood I pointed out that plots in fiction are repeated so much that you're bound to see them again, but this one took it over the line. Their wasn't much effort into making it unique.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were right on the money with your predictions about Alex's dad and Laaden. I mean she did describe him as wih the same personality as Alex. And he did seem unafraid of doing things most of the other servants wouldn't and stared at her a lot.

Noémy Oh no it's totally about Sydney and another character but I didn't want to spoil it for you (even though I'm pretty sure you'd know who I'm talking about based on other people's reviews) :D I really hope you'll like it !!

There is no way that character's NOT alex's dad. He has to be lol. I actually liked that plot line ;D

We'll see if there will be other similarities in Deity but then I don't want to have to each time compare the two series. I guess I should just stop and get over it...I would be lying if i said I didn't enjoy these books...

Ezmirelda Noémy wrote: "Oh no it's totally about Sydney and another character but I didn't want to spoil it for you (even though I'm pretty sure you'd know who I'm talking about based on other people's reviews) :D I reall..."

True true. Despite my annnoyance with it I really like this book. :)
I really hope we're wrong about the next book because it's at the point where it's becoming really obvious where the major plot line of this book is coming from. I heard from other reviews that she does the same thing to her other book series--chooses another book to copy the plot line from and not doing a very good job of covering it up.

I think I'll start Bloodlines today. Have you written a review for it yet? :)

Noémy Same here :) and yes i want to be surprised too even though I think I've figured out all the major twists and plot lines of HB and Pure. I want to find out if my hunches are right and yes, I admit I AM that shallow but I also really want to know who Alex is going to end up with ;D

I haven't posted my review of Bloodlines yet because I've only started using Goodreads and writing little comments up until recently but i did take lots of notes after i finished reading it back in August. It's just not very coherent i'll have to edit it when i post it so I'll have something else to add other that : "It's amazing" "I love richelle mead" "Adrian's awesome" "please just kiss and make pretty babies" lol

Obsidian was okay ( i like the covenant series better). What really makes the book is the relationship between Katy (the narrator) and Daemon (the otherwordly guy) - if you like those love-hate types of relationships that is. Plotwise i didn't think it was very unique : it's the typical story of the normal girl that falls for an extraordinary guy who's a major douche ;D only he's an alien (This in particular will need to be further developed in the sequel I didn't think their particularities really set them apart from all the other supernatural creatures out there). And I know what you're refering to. A reviewer actually expressed it very well but there is one scene similar to twilight, which in itself wouldn't be so bad (that scene 's been written in almost every YA book in one form or another)if the author wasn't making fun of it in the process !

message 26: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 15, 2012 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Noémy wrote: "Same here :) and yes i want to be surprised too even though I think I've figured out all the major twists and plot lines of HB and Pure. I want to find out if my hunches are right and yes, I admit ..."

Ooo an alien! I haven't read one of those before. I'm surprised there hasnt been more of those. I remember this Disney romance movie about a guy who falls for an alien that was pretty popular.

I laughed so much reading your notes for Bloodlines. I can't wait to read your review. My notes for the reviews I do for my blog are pretty similar. It's just a bunch of incoherent sentences I jot down on my IPod while reading.

The secret to all romances in fiction is that the first person to show up as a romantic interest/ the person they spent the duration of the book with (For Ex. Peeta from hunger games) will almost always certainly end up with the girl in the end. Although Gale spent the most time with Katniss, Peeta was with her during the the majority of the series and was viewed immediately as a possible romantic interest, rather than Gale who she considered more of a friend. So I'm pretty sure Alex will end up with Adrian at the end, just because he showed up first. And also because the second book of a YA series is usually reserved for the default guy the MC could never really love as much as the main love interest.

Noémy Very true ! I'm pretty sure she will end up with Aiden too which is what I want ultimately, I like him more than Seth (blasphemy lol). Aliens are cool i was drawn to Obsidian for precisely that reason; I used to be a huge fan of Roswell :):):)

I write my notes on my phone :-) usually on the train and on my way to work. Or even AT work sometimes (bad bad). I think i'll even try to post it today : i saw that you were reading it btw, i really hope you enjoy it :) One good thing is that now you won't have to wait too long until the golden lily's out. Waiting's been torture ahhhhhhhhhh

Ezmirelda Noémy wrote: "Very true ! I'm pretty sure she will end up with Aiden too which is what I want ultimately, I like him more than Seth (blasphemy lol). Aliens are cool i was drawn to Obsidian for precisely that rea..."

I just read the summary of Obsidian. Lol, why does it remind me so much of I Am Number Four?

Yeah, I was kind of hoping she'd end up with Aiden too even though I love Seth. At the end of Pure after the Daemen *cough* strigoi attack I thought what he did to help save her was SO cute. I read the first chapter of Pure and the way Seth keeps on pushing her to forget everything is kinda annoying. :p

Noémy :):):) Aiden's my favorite character ; I like Seth too (he seems to genuinely care about Alex) but then I don't entirely trust him either. And I don’t want to get too attached ;) I feel like the ones in charge (what’s up with Lucian ? or is it Lucius ? Ha I don’t remember) won’t have any qualms about « discarding » Alex if necessary and that poor Seth won’t have any other choice but to obey. I don't think things are going to end well for him at all.

message 30: by ranne-ya (new) - added it

ranne-ya LOOOOOOL even though I haven't read this, I don't feel spoiled at all.

message 31: by Ezmirelda (last edited May 14, 2012 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Annerooo wrote: "LOOOOOOL even though I haven't read this, I don't feel spoiled at all."

Lol I know right. It should say "spoiler alert! P.S Unless you read Vampire Academy, then you're good." Haha ^^

Noémy ahhhhhhhhhhhh sorry !!!!! I think i'm the one that should have written a 'spoiler alert' sign in bold letters before all of my previous comments...:(

Ezmirelda Noémy wrote: "ahhhhhhhhhhhh sorry !!!!! I think i'm the one that should have written a 'spoiler alert' sign in bold letters before all of my previous comments...:("

Hey Noemy! I'm like half way through Bloodlines now. I've had so many exams this week I can only read a few pages a day.

message 34: by ranne-ya (new) - added it

ranne-ya I hope Sydney appears in book 4. XDD

Noémy Ezmirelda wrote: "Noémy wrote: "ahhhhhhhhhhhh sorry !!!!! I think i'm the one that should have written a 'spoiler alert' sign in bold letters before all of my previous comments...:("

Hey Noemy! I'm like half way th..."

Do you like it so far ???? I've seen a lot of very good reviews for The Golden Lily on GR, even coming from people that didn't like Bloodlines right away, so hopefully you enjoy it but if you don't TGL is coming out in less than a month he he he. SO EXCITED !!!!!

Katie I feel like Sethalisa should be more Sethalisadrian. Although that's quite something to spell every time, it's fun to pronounce and Seth's personality was a bit like Adrian's too. Anyway, this was a VERY accurate review.

Ezmirelda Katie wrote: "I feel like Sethalisa should be more Sethalisadrian. Although that's quite something to spell every time, it's fun to pronounce and Seth's personality was a bit like Adrian's too. Anyway, this was ..."

Lol, Sethalisadrian is perfect. Try syaing that 10 times fast.

message 38: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Love the nicknames... although I think you got so carried away with the similarities that you did miss one difference. Lea in Half-Blood is not Pure.... she's a Half-Blood as well (unlike Mia). ^_^

message 39: by Ezmirelda (last edited Sep 29, 2012 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Beth wrote: "Love the nicknames... although I think you got so carried away with the similarities that you did miss one difference. Lea in Half-Blood is not Pure.... she's a Half-Blood as well (unlike Mia). ^_^"

Really? Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that she was a Pure....although it was a long time ago so maybe I forgot? ^^

message 40: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Ezmirelda wrote: "Beth wrote: "Love the nicknames... although I think you got so carried away with the similarities that you did miss one difference. Lea in Half-Blood is not Pure.... she's a Half-Blood as well (un..."

Definitely. Lea's sister is a pure, but they are only half-sisters (Lea is another bastard daughter like Alex). Not to mention, if Lea were Pure... due to the (sometimes utterly ridiculous) rules that the Covenant has about Half-Blood vs. Pure violence, Alex would have been executed for her fights with Lea (breaking her nose with the apple, etc.) instead of just receiving a slap on the wrist.

That's the biggest difference I find between the Covenant series and Vampire Academy (other than the writing style... Armentrout's books seem much more dialogue driven than Mead's).... a lot of the characters might be virtually interchangable, but Armentrout raises the stakes (no pun intended :P) a bit higher. Rose and Dimitri's love was taboo, but in much more realistic ways (their student-teacher relationship, etc.)... anything between Alex and Aiden is downright forbidden and would mean execution for both of them. That COULD POTENTIALLY be a big game changer as the series goes on if Armentrout develops it further and correctly (just as their is a big difference between the willing blood whores and unwilling half-blood servants). If the characters actually deal with these threats realistically, it's an entirely different game than what we get in Vampire Academy.. but if they just remain info dumps that hang in the background and the characters throw all caution to the wind in the who-cares-the-earth-is-ending-i'm-in-lurv that is so popular in YA these days, Covenant has no chance of being anything than other than a Vampire Academy rehash for the remainder of the series.

message 41: by Ezmirelda (last edited Sep 29, 2012 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Beth wrote: "Ezmirelda wrote: "Beth wrote: "Love the nicknames... although I think you got so carried away with the similarities that you did miss one difference. Lea in Half-Blood is not Pure.... she's a Half..."

Ohh well that makes sense. I always thought that she got off the hook somehow because of her uncle (... or was that her stepfather?). Yeah, the stakes are much higher in terms of forbidden love which is what I really enjoyed about this book. High stakes are important for a series like this to strive. I hope the next book isn't the way you described lol "the who-cares-the-earth-is-ending-i'm-in-lurv". I think part of the reason why I liked Katniss from the Hunger Games so much was because she was the first YA character I read that never faltered when it came to a decision between the world (her family) and her love life. Hopefully Alex has more to her than the I'm-in-love stereotype. In a way I think strong leads who make decisions that go against what they want make more interesting plotlines. Choosing to not follow strong impulses like love naturally creates more internal conflict. :) (Have you seen that show "Revenge" from abc? That's a pretty great example of that)

The writing style was something I also immediately realized was different when I started the series but my term for it was "voice". Their voices were both pretty unique and different.

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ i read both ur reviews on half-blood and pure, they made me laugh really, although i am a fan of this series and waiting for the third book. i actually figured out some of the similarities btw the 2 series, but u kind of kept on finding them when i grew careless anymore, swooning hardly on DIMITRiiiiii <3 <3 i love him !!!

i read half-blood and pure before VA after reading obsidian, then my friend told me that ppl talk of similarities with VA, and the next thing i know is that she had finished the 5th book of VA and starting the 6th, begging me to start reading it before any other thing, talking about forbidden love, and the guy is older than her .. she played on my weaknesses i am a sucker for forbidden.. not fair :P:P
so started reading it searching for the similarities, until i got hooked up by the series stopped comparing, i could care less, and Dimitri vampire academy became all what i ever talk about for like 2-3 weeks.. :P:P i want more books in the series but no more .. sighs* :(

so here are things that u didn't state..
when rose and lissa run away they took half the inheritence of lissa.. they needed money, as for alex and her mom well the latter took half the money of her husband..

the one i really like is that, when dimitri get intimate about rose thinking of her more than just a student u know it bcs he starts calling her ROZA!! (i love it!! swoons*) as for aiden when he thinks about alex intimately his gray eyes turns intense silver!! (i love that too..)
no need to state the compulsion thing.. and did u notice?? Rosemarie - rose, and Alexandria - alex

when i read VA (1st book) i was annoyed to see that there are similar thoughts, but then i let go, i love both series dying for more of dimitri... but for truth i think that JLA rocks at building a romance, her building up blows me out, i enjoyed the relation better btw alex and aiden than rose and dimitri (in the 1st book, after that uhhhhh!! swoons** the 2nd 3rd and 4th book of VA got me running like crazy around the house..) so i know that aiden will confess his love for alex in the 3rd book..
now no need to be so angry at least the series was not ruined JLA is good at that she has this thing that draws u to read her books...

AND u made feel so stupid bcs really i didn't compare seth with lissa, i was busy thinking about daemon and his connection to katy...
And .. another and but important one.. if aiden gets turned into a daimon, i am throwing my self through a window...

message 43: by Ezmirelda (last edited Oct 12, 2012 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Fafiliebe wrote: "i read both ur reviews on half-blood and pure, they made me laugh really, although i am a fan of this series and waiting for the third book. i actually figured out some of the similarities btw the ..."

I actually didn't come up with the thing about Seth and Lissa, someone else did. Lol, I never made the connection while reading the book. But then later a commentor pointed it out and I was like "Ohhh that's so right! I did not notice that at all".

I'm glad you enjoyed both series! :) Can't wait for the next book to come out.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Ezmirelda Crowell13 wrote: "i havent read this book yet and i loved the va series now this review makes me vaguely intrigued about this series maybe i should check it out..."

Lol, I think you'll like this a lot then. Definitely check it out. Although, I think you'd be better off starting with Book One, as "Pure" is Book 2 of this series. :)

Veronique I was actually thinking of reading the series because I loved obsidian, but then I started reading your reviews for the books and could not stop laughing. 1 of my absolute favorite book series has got to be vampire academy, & I honestly miss reading them too. I'm a little mad they're pretty much exactly the same , but just because of your review, & even though now I know most of whats gonna happen, I'm gonna start reading the covenant series!! LOVED your reviews!! lol

message 47: by Ezmirelda (last edited Feb 03, 2013 12:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Veronique wrote: "I was actually thinking of reading the series because I loved obsidian, but then I started reading your reviews for the books and could not stop laughing. 1 of my absolute favorite book series has ..."

Thank you, Veronique! Happy reading! :D

Emalie I just read Half-Blood, even though I read your review, but I had to make up my own mind. You are sooo right. Now I read your review of Pure and am torn between reading it and never picking it up. I will probably still ending up reading it. LOL
Btw loved your reviews, very funny, made me laugh so hard.