Ronald Lim's Reviews > The House of Silk

Apr 22, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 03 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

Originally from here.

I will say that Horowitz — or his editor — has done a great job with cutting the chapters. Nineteen of the book’s 20 chapters ended with cliffhangers that were effective at keeping me turning the pages, even if I sometimes found Watson’s tone throughout the book to be much more melodramatic than the situation warranted.

That melodrama was one of the things that I had trouble with while reading the book. Perhaps my appreciation was a little tainted by my exposure to all the other “unauthorized” interpretations of Holmes, but none of the “monumental” events that happened to Holmes in this particular adventure hardly deserved that tag.

But where that bombast proved to be most damaging was during the great reveal of the “scandal” that would tear apart Victorian society as Holmes and Watson knew it. As prudish as Victorian society was back then, and even as homosexuality was definitely taboo, I still found it a bit silly that all of the furor was over gay pedophiles.

Coupled with the fact that everyone seems to be positively glowing in their reviews of this book, I ended up being slightly disappointed with this new work officially sanctioned by the Doyle estate. If there’s anything positive I could say after reading “The House of Silk”, it is that I wanted to dig up my copy of “The Complete Sherlock Holmes” and try to familiarize myself with Doyle’s world once again.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Silk.