Rebecca Berto's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 11, 13

bookshelves: best-everrr
Read from June 20 to 22, 2012

As a writer, I dream of this sh!t, John Green. The cast of characters that felt real included the main character, Hazel (funny without realising | non-cliche views toward her cancer), her boyfriend, Augustus (hilarious | not overly emotional yet sweet), Hazel’s mum (worried | OTT in trying to help Hazel’s life outlook), a friend, Isaac (coolest friend ever), and Peter Van Houten (talks/acts with an IQ of 150).

Basically, everyone who was meant to matter in this book stood out.

The love interest in this story was genuine. I fell into Hazel and Augustus’ relationship from the beginning and was rooting for their young love as the book went on.

However, the best thing by far about The Fault in Our Stars is its UNIQUENESS in discussing cancer. I’m not dissing anyone who’s overcome this shattering disease but I loved how the author, John Green, decided this wasn’t a feel-sorry-for-the-poor-cancer-kids book.

As someone with a chronic illness, I loved the “light” take on cancer. Hazel, the main character, wasn’t campaigning against cancer or anything like that. She was just wanting to be her — like anyone with an illness. I’m Me. Not “I’m the Illness.” Hazel, doesn’t want to change the world. She just wants to be in a little circle of family (her mum, dad and her) so when her time bomb (she dies) goes off she hurts as little people as possible — but that’s not possible with her inevitably falling for Augustus.

There’s nothing weighing on Hazel’s shoulders, such as Change The World! or Raise Money For A Cancer Cure! This “normalcy” in such a horrible situation is what makes The Fault in Our Stars so relatable.

This book was a darn laugh from page 1–318. The teenagers’ voices were so realistic that I totally clicked with the dialogue. Also, a note: this book could double-up for a joke book.

Then I got to 75–80% through and I started bawling. Like, I had to move my sobbing bum off the living room chair and reposition myself to my room where I could cry by myself without my brother laughing his head off at me. And in between crying, I laughed, then bawled, then laughed.

I always include negatives in my reviews to be honest with viewers but The Fault in Our Stars had none whatsoever. I loved it.

Recommend -- 5 stars!!
7 likes · Likeflag

Quotes Rebecca Liked

John Green
“Whenever you read a cancer booklet or website or whatever, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer. But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying.”

John Green
“May I see you again?" he asked. There was an endearing nervousness in his voice.

I smiled. "Sure."

"Tomorrow?" he asked.

"Patience, grasshopper," I counseled. "You don't want to seem overeager.

"Right, that's why I said tomorrow," he said. "I want to see you again tonight. But I'm willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow." I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious," he said.

"You don't even know me," I said. I grabbed the book from the center console. "How about I call you when I finish this?"

"But you don't even have my phone number," he said.

"I strongly suspect you wrote it in this book."

He broke out into that goofy smile. "And you say we don't know each other.”

John Green
“I'm in love with you," he said quietly.

"Augustus," I said.

"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

John Green
“There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”

John Green
“It's just that most really good-looking people are stupid, so I exceed expectations.'
'Right, it's primarily his hotness,' I said.
'It can be sort of blinding,' he said.
'It actually did blind our friend Isaac,' I said.
'Terrible tragedy, that. But can I help my own deadly beauty?'
'You cannot.'
'It is my burden, this beautiful face.'
'Not to mention your body.'
'Seriously, don't even get me started on my hot bod. You don't want to see me naked, Dave. Seeing me naked actually took Hazel Grace's breath away,' he said, nodding toward the oxygen tank.”

John Green
“Augustus Waters was a self-aggrandizing bastard. But we forgive him. We forgive him not because he had a heart as figuratively good as his literal one sucked, or because he knew more about how to hold a cigarette than any nonsmoker in history, or because he got eighteen years when he should've gotten more.'
'Seventeen,' Gus corrected.
'I'm assuming you've got some time, you interupting bastard.
'I'm telling you,' Isaac continued, 'Augustus Waters talked so much that he'd interupt you at his own funeral. And he was pretentious: Sweet Jesus Christ, that kid never took a piss without pondering the abundant metaphorical resonances of human waste production. And he was vain: I do not believe I have ever met a more physically attractive person who was more acutely aware of his own physical attractiveness.
'But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.'
I was kind of crying by then.”

06/20/2012 page 38