Tallulah A. Scribbles's Reviews > Social Suicide

Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from April 03 to 09, 2012

I imagine that Hartley Featherstone is a like a modern-day Nancy Drew (although I haven’t read any Nancy Drew books). She is a reporter at the Herbert Hoover High Homepage (school’s online newspaper). While investigating a school cheating scandal, Hartley finds Sydney Sanders (Homecoming Queen nominee and accused test cheater) dead in her pool. Sensing something fishy about both the suicide and the cheating, Hartley launches her own “Twittercide“ investigation.

Even though I was able to figure out Sydney Sanders’ killer well before it was revealed, I liked the book all same. It’s a quick and entertaining read from my adult POV. I would read other books in the series. Hartley is smart, funny, and dedicated to getting the best story. I mean, would you chase down a potential murder story as a teen (or even as an adult)? She is a welcome change from the weak female protagonists floating around in many YA novel these days (+). While it’s clear that she is crushing on Chase (her editor), chasing boys is not the primary focus of the book (+ +).

The book’s back cover headline says, “Veronica Mars meets Heist Society in this hilarious and sexy sequel!” Sexy? Not so much. It’s intended for readers 13 and up. I think the writing is age appropriate and engaging to a variety of audiences.

Recommended for
- YA readers
- Mystery readers

If book three is about another murder, Hartley (and those around her) better be concerned. She may be turning into Jessica Fletcher from the "Murder, She Wrote" book/television series. Murder seems to follow Hartley around just like it followed Jessica.

I received a free copy of "Social Suicide" through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. It is the second book of Gemma Halliday’s "Deadly Cool" series. I hadn’t read "Deadly Cool"(the series’ first book) before starting "Social Suicide." It wasn’t a problem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Suicide.

04/05/2012 page 122