Kristin Aragon's Reviews > Whispering Hills

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: ya-paranormal
Read from April 03 to 05, 2012

Originally reviewed at Better Read Than Dead

Ah, I loved Whispering Hills. Taryn did an excellent job winding the elements of suspense, terror, and romance into one this one magically spine-tingling and roller-coaster ride of a book. My favorite thing about Taryn's writing is her ability to create strong, no-nonsense, kick butt heroines.

Alexis hangs with the popular crowd, but only on the fringes. Her best friend is a cheerleader but Alexis is much more content, alone in her room painting. Part of this stems from the fact that she hears everyone's thoughts...well, not really their thoughts, but their internal decisions. When a murderer comes to Whispering Hills, she hears his thoughts but can't ever see him. Leading her to believe there is more going on than meets the eye. When one of her classmates disappears and is later found exactly as Alexis knew she would...Alexis knows it's time to find help.

Enter Summer...daughter of a very powerful witch. Summer, a witch herself, is a loner and she likes it that way. However, when Alexis won't take no for an answer, Summer is forced to relive the events which had been erased from her memory thirteen years ago. At first, Summer is a bit...well, bitchy, but as the book continued, I grew to love her honest and outspoken candor.

Alexis has one other ally. His name is Chance. I enjoyed Chance's character, although, I am a little disappointed in the love-at-first-sight aspect of this book. I'm not one of those insta-love haters, in fact, on most occasions, I love it. However, the relationship between Chance and Alexis is a little difficult for me to buy. There's no real dialogue that builds up to their relationship...only events that force them together.

Now Gabriel...he's one terrifying ghost. I have no desire to hang out with him and feel sure that I would run in the other direction if I saw him coming. Eeps!

Alexis, Chance, and Gabriel are all tied together in a way you couldn't ever imagine. Whispering Hills storyline is unique, fast-paced, and action packed. There's also plenty of kissing involved. Overall...a thrilling and emotional must read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispering Hills.