Don Bradshaw's Reviews > Discovery

Discovery by Jamieson Wolf

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: gay-romance, fantasy, magic, offworld-politics, political-fiction
Read from April 03 to 04, 2012

Reviewed on Hearts On Fire... http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

This was one of the most confusing books that I have ever written. I enjoy Mr. Wolf's writing and story telling ability so I'm going to chalk this awful story up to it being the beginning of a series and the need to lay a foundation.
The Guiding House of Light or the Guides have taken over all government on Spero and rules with an iron fist. Books have been outlawed, television is all Guide controlled, very Orwellian with Big Brother. Justin Wright is a gay man in a society where being gay has just been outlawed. He flees for his life and finds his way to Rufus Calhoon who heads up a gay freedom fighter cell and is taken in by Rufus and his friends. Justin learns that The Fruit Machine is a scanning device that the Guides use on babies to see if they are gay and if they have any unique powers. Some of the people in the cell are Guide agents trying to kill Justin. The problem is that very little is revealed about what Justin is and just what is expected of him. What is the story behind shifting? There are several characters that just popped into the story with no explanation at all. This novella just left me with more questions than answers and left so many loose ends hanging that I don't think that I want to read any more of the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discovery.

04/04/2012 page 96