VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Mercy Thompson: Moon Called, Volume 2

Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: mystery, paranormal-romance, shifters, vampires, urban-fantasy, witches
Read in April, 2012

Mercy Thompson Graphic Novel: Moon Called Vol. 2 – Eye candy extraordinaire

More like 3.5 but I'll round up.

It took me a little while to get around to reading the second and final volume for the Moon Called graphic novel. What with no bookstores nearby, I wasn't totally sure if I wanted to pay for a comic that I couldn't see. The first volume was beautifully illustrated, but I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy the story. For me the Mercy Thompson series definitely suffers from FBS (first book syndrome), but seeing the story illustrated mitigated the experience immensely.

Volume 2 picks up directly after Volume 1. Adam's daughter, Jesse, has been kidnapped and Mercy tries to help track her down. She has to enlist help from her vampire friend, Stefan, whose camarilla may have information on where to find her. She has to manage this on top of figuring out whose been experimenting on weres. Facing a lot of danger, Mercy has to work with vampires, werewolves and faeries while she tests her own boundaries to see where she fits into it all.

The comments from my first review remain steady when it comes to the artwork. If anything I think it's even better than the first volume. The story is the weakest part of this entry, but I can't say if it's because I was never really interested when it came to the written novels or if it was because it's difficult to grasp the whole story when you're limited to speech bubbles. Sometimes it was hard to follow and I noticed a couple of continuity issues from frame to frame. Even still, the art exceeded my expectations when it comes to this series. I have a new way to imagine the characters. I was really happy to see Stefan this time around and he has a significant presence. I feel like the illustrator probably liked drawing him. He's quite the looker! I like Mercy and Adam together, but I honestly wouldn't have minded seeing her with Stefan in the books, and the graphic novel only makes it worse now, haha!

So all in all, I do recommend this if only to admire the beautiful illustrations, but you will definitely need Volume 1 as a companion to know everything that's happened.

*Review also posted to Amazon
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy Thompson.

04/03/2012 page 26
22.0% "STEFAN!! <3 Happy fangirl happy fangirl!! He's even hotter than I imagined, haha."
04/03/2012 page 86
72.0% "Where the heck did her clothes come from? Continuity error!"

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise oh yeah! Stefan is awesome!

VampireNovelFan Denise wrote: "oh yeah! Stefan is awesome!"

I'd love for him to get a spin-off!