melissa1lbr's Reviews > The Drowned Cities

The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi

May 03, 12

bookshelves: arcs, collection, review-copy, young-adult
Read on April 03, 2012

Things I Liked:
Once again, Bacigalupi has created a future world that is terrifying, realistic, vivid, and engrossing. I honestly couldn't stop thinking about how some of this stuff might actually happen to us in the future. I think it is a testament to his skill as a writer that the world felt so real, from the coywolv to the jungle to Tool himself, it began to feel not made up. The story was interesting as well, but took kind of a back seat to the setting and world building (and Tool) for me. Tool, though, was fascinating. I remember wanting to know more about him when I finished Ship Breaker, and this book delivered. He was complex and mysterious and so intriguing. I loved trying to figure out what he was thinking, what he would do and why. Mahlia was also fabulous, being stubborn, smart, but also foolish and impetuous - in short, believable. This is truly complex and well-written dystopian/futuristic fiction.

Things I Didn't Like:
I was not invested in what happened to Mahlia and Mouse nearly as much as Tool (though that might be because of the first book piquing my interest in him). It seemed to sometimes not know quite where it was headed. The ending was action-packed and crazy, making up for the parts where I thought it was slower. I like Ship Breaker maybe a little better, but this one is still exceptionally good.
Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowned Cities.