Clinton Wilcox's Reviews > When I Grow Up

When I Grow Up by Al Yankovic

M_50x66
Apr 03, 12

Read in April, 2011

I have been a "Weird Al" fan for most of my life, so I was very anxious to see how his treatment of a children's book would be. "Weird Al" is a master craftsman when it comes to writing original music that spoofs another band's or singer's style, as well as writing parodies. It seems he is also a master craftsman of children's book.

It is true that some of the words may be a little advanced for small children, it is refreshing to see someone who generally trusts his audience (and plus it gives the adults like me, who don't have any kids, a reason to buy and read the book). It is not dumbed-down. This would offer a great time for parents to teach their kids some vocabulary.

It has a naturally flowing rhyme and meter, and the illustrations are excellent. I was a little disappointed that one of his potential jobs is "master debater." While "Weird Al" has always been generally family-friendly, he isn't exactly squeaky-clean. However, that's the only beef I take with this book and I consider it a pretty minor gripe.

I was fortunate enough to get this signed by "Weird Al" and talk to him for a minute. I would recommend this book to anyone, for the young and the young at heart. You won't be disappointed by this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I Grow Up.