ttg's Reviews > Sounds of Love

Apr 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: m-m, reviews, dnf
Read in March, 2012

I'm actually giving this a "high 2 stars," partially because I haven't finished it yet, and don't feel super compelled to.

What I liked the most:

I thought this author did a good job on the disability-front. I'm legally blind, so whenever I read about a disabled character, I'm always curious how the author will handle it and how realistic it will be. She did a nice job here--both with Sebastion, how he's managing his disability and his strong will to maintain his independence, and Jordan, who wants to better understand Sebastion. There was a lot of nice details that were consistent--like Jordan always trying to look at Sebastion while he talked since Sebastion could read lips, or relaying conversation if Sebastion didn't see who was speaking.

It's also always nice to see characters with disabilities who are treated like adults with adult desires and sex lives. I think this is pretty rare in fiction, and in media overall.

The romance itself was very sweet, so if you're looking for a sweet, overall pretty chill romance, you might enjoy this. Read an excerpt and see what you think. You'll probably get an idea of the writing style and if it meshes with you from that.

My main issues though:

1- The story is very sweet and readable at first. But after half-way through, starts to lose momentum. I think there probably should have been some more conflict or...something in there to push the story along. I think I got to 70% and stopped for some reason, and don't feel a huge push to go back and finish.

2- The narrator over-narrates. It is explained as a part of his character--that he over-thinks things. But the over-narration also had the effect of slowing the story down a lot as he ruminated and angsted. To help keep the pace up, it might have been good to tighten things up in places.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sounds of Love.

message 1: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Laine Thanks for the well-thought out review, ttg :)

I'm glad you got something good out of the story, like a strong adult character with a disability, as well as noting what didn't work for you. That seems to be the consensus on the feedback front: More action/plot and less narration. I'll keep working on these :)

All the best,