Sheri's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

May 12, 14

bookshelves: reviewed, buddy-reads, audio, on-my-ipod, netgalley-read
Read from May 10 to 12, 2014

Allie is a human living in post apocalyptic America after a plague wipes out over half of the population and vampires take control. She and her gang of friends struggle every day just to not starve to death on the streets. Allie hates the vampires with everything that she is, until she is attacked and forced to make the choice between life and death. Choosing life, she then has to learn to come to terms with what she has become and try to figure out how to keep her humanity.

I loved this book for many reasons…First, I really liked Allie. She was a tough street girl who knew what it took to survive, yet she had a soft side to her, always helping out those around her. In a world where even humans had lost their humanity, Allie was struggling to try to keep hers.

I loved the descriptiveness of the book. The author really does a great job weaving Allie's tale and painting a picture of the world she lives in. I really liked the way Allie described everyday things that she hadn't seen before because they don't exist in her world…motorized bicycles (motorcycles) and winged mice (bats). Through the whole story the author described each setting, whether it be a run down, long forgotten farmhouse or a deserted paved road, with such feeling and intent.

I also loved the romance aspect of the story. There wasn't much romance to the story, which is a good thing (see below), but what was there was done well. I really liked that the story was from the POV of the vampire falling for a human. Most books are written the other way around, and it was a nice change. I liked that Allie and her love interest didn't fall in love instantly and were very cautious with their feelings.

Here's the 'see below.' The author did such a great job framing out Allie's character. In the beginning of the book I was rooting for her to survive, then after she turned and was alone I felt sorry for her, then after she met up with Zee's group I was glad that she had friends, and then later I was sad for her again. It makes for a great story when you can connect with the characters so much that you feel for them. I think a romance really would have ruined the story, as Allie wouldn't have felt like such a loner if she would have been able to make it work out. As it was, she was a very new vampire and trying to learn her limits, and she knew that falling for a human was out of the question.

In the end, Allie did what she had to in order to survive and keep her humanity intact. I liked the way things ended but am waiting very anxiously for the next book….which I will be buying the day it's released!
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

Quotes Sheri Liked

Julie Kagawa
“There will come a time when man is no longer concerned only with survival, when he will once more be curious as to who came before him, what life was like a thousand years ago, and he will seek out answers for a hundred years or so, but humans' curiosity has always driven them to find answers.”

Julie Kagawa
“We are vampires, Kanin had told me, on one of our last nights together. It makes no difference who we are, where we came from. Princes, Masters and rabids alike, we are monsters, cut off from humanity. They will never trust us. They will never accept us. We hide in their midst and walk among them, but we are forever separate.
Damned. Alone. You don’t understand now, but you will. There will come a time when the road before you splits, and you must decide your path. Will you choose to become a demon with a human face, or will you fight your demon until the end of time, knowing you will forever struggle alone?”

Julie Kagawa
“The mighty hunter,” I quipped as we snuck out the backdoor, escaping into the yard. “He can take down vicious rabids and rampaging boars, but one old lady can make him flee in terror.”

“One scary old lady,” he corrected me, looking relieved to be out of the house. “You didn’t hear what she told me when I got up — you’re so cute I could put you in a pie. Tell me that’s not the creepiest thing you’ve ever heard.” His voice climbed a few octaves, turning shrill and breathy. “Today for dessert, we have apple pie, blueberry pie and Ezekiel pie.”

Julie Kagawa
“Did he teach you how to bore you opponents to sleep? Because I think I missed that lesson - Allie”

Julie Kagawa
“You are a monster.” Kanin’s deep voice droned in my head again, as I forced myself to move, to walk away. “You will always be a monster, there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you.”

Julie Kagawa
“Yes, poor Darren, forced to cook and clean and do other unmanly things. Next thing you know he’ll be wearing an apron and popping out babies.” He snorted as Darren turned and did something with his hand. “We’re friends, but we’re not that close, Dare.”

05/26/2012
05/05/2014 marked as: currently-reading
05/12/2014 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Leigh I so need to read this one!

Sheri I would read it again I loved it so much. Let me know if you decide to :)

Leigh Well, if I win the September BOTM contest that is the book I will choose. lol

If not I will have to purchase it.

Leigh I just checked the library and they don't have an ebook or audio. I will have to go and see if the have paperback. I went on B&N and the ebook is $9.99. I hate spending that much on an ebook!!

Sheri I don't think the paperback has been released yet. I hate spending that much on an ebook too.

Leigh Well, I will see if the library has the hardcover.

Leigh Just bought Down to You by M. Leighton. May have to read this one instead. It has recieved great reviews. I like the cover!!

Sheri I had just added that one to my to-read list :)

message 9: by T.J. (new) - added it

T.J. Shaw This is on my TR list. I might have to move it up. Great review, Sheri! :)

Sheri Thanks, it's one of my favorites :)