Becky's Reviews > Gregor and the Rats of Underland

Gregor and the Rats of Underland by Suzanne Collins

1978609
Apr 03, 12

Read in April, 2012

As you all probably know I am a HUGE Hunger Games fan, so obviously I looked up Suzanne Collins and I found out she had done a series before HG. The Underland Chronicles, I looked them up on the library system and found copies available and so requested them. Curious as to what these may be like.
On first look, they look quite intriguing, synopsis sounds slightly silly but could be fun. The pages are well spaced and the font fairly big, at only 258 pages, I knew it wouldn't take me long to read.
I started it, expecting to dip in and out, but I was actually hooked in. Gregor is 11 years old, he lives with his mum, gran, 7 year old sister Lizzie and baby sister Boots (2years old). His dad went missing 2 years and so many months ago, just vanished one day and Gregor has had to take on a lot of responsibility.
whilst doing the laundry in the dingy laundry room of his apartment block his baby sister crawls away and falls crawls into an open vent, when Gregor goes to get her out, they are both sucked down the vent and end up in a strange world 'Underland' which is filled with giant bugs - cockroaches, bats, spiders, and rats. The roaches are very friendly, the spiders depend on their mood, but the rats - they are bad! There are also people down there - the Underlanders themselves - pale skinned, purple eyed, and companions with the bats. They 'bond' with each other. The bats become friends and defenders to them. The Underlanders can fly on their backs and sense each others needs almost.
Boots and Gregor are thrown in the deep end. With terms of a prophecy seeming to describe Gregor himself, he must go on a quest to stop a war with the rats. But not everyone will return safely.
Boots is so cute in this, at only two she is your typical cheeky baby, with funny ways of saying things and adorable habits, mixed with the odd tantrum.
Gregor's love for his little sister is evident and I loved how he looked after her. He is also your unlikely hero- considering himself just a normal kid, but when put on the line he steps up and is willing to help, giving all he has to help.
Luxa the soon to be Queen is feisty, fun and sarcastic. The sort of character I like. Willing to sacrifice everything to do the right thing.
This book is soo different from the Hunger Games, but I can still feel Collin's writing style peeking through - as in you can tell they are written by the same person. Obviously these books are aimed at a much younger audience.
Action packed adventure that literally had me up until 1 in the morning so I could finish it!
Full of twists, turns, mysteries, adventure and fun.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor and the Rats of Underland.

message 1: by Celeste (new)

Celeste I was thinking of getting these for my 8 year old avid reader son.

Becky Celeste wrote: "I was thinking of getting these for my 8 year old avid reader son."

I think you should, he would love them, really captures the imagination. As long as he isn't scared of bugs!

message 3: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Definitely NOT scared of bugs.

Becky Celeste wrote: "Definitely NOT scared of bugs."

lol - he'll LOVE them then! :D