Mads's Reviews > Resistance, Rebellion and Death: Essays

Resistance, Rebellion and Death by Albert Camus

Jul 13, 07

Read in January, 2000

Camus chose twenty-three essays to comprise this collection a year before his death. Camus is a powerful writer and has a rousing crowd-pleasing style ("The doves of peace do not perch on gallows") suited to editorials, a style that must have been honed during his days as a writer in the French Resistance.

"The society of money and exploitation has never been charged, so far as I know, with assuring the triumph of freedom and justice. Police states have never been suspected of opening schools of law in the cellars where they interrogate their subjects. So, when they oppress and exploit, they are merely doing their job, and whoever blindly entrusts them with the care of freedom has no right to be surprised when she is immediately dishonored."

"The artist constantly lives in such a state of ambiguity, incapable of negating the real and yet eternally bound to question it in its eternally unfinished aspects."

The piece against capital punishment, "Reflections on the Guillotine" is strong. My personal views supporting the death penalty wobbles when I read Camus' arguments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resistance, Rebellion and Death.