Bonnie's Reviews > Gilt

Gilt by Katherine Longshore

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: ya, historical-fiction, arcs-netgalley, tudors-plantagenets, z-2012
Read from April 20 to 22, 2012

"You still remember that?" she said. "How we used to play that we were at court?"
"Used to?" I said. "We never stopped."
The game had just changed - from little girls playing princesses to a more grown-up and complicated hierarchy of status and favor.

I am far from a professional when it comes to history but I would consider myself a huge fan of the Tudor era. I've read up on the era enough to know the majority of what occurred but possibly not enough to point out historical inaccuracies when I read a story like Gilt. Based on what I do know; however, it is important to me that these stories maintain as much of the true to life story as possible. That said, I feel that the author did an outstanding job of the story of Catherine 'Cat' Howard and how she became the fifth wife of Henry VIII. Was it completely accurate? No. But it was damn fun. I've read stories about Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, and Anne of Cleves, so it was interesting to finally read a story on Catherine Howard.

The story is told from the POV of Kitty Tylney, Cat's best friend, who is sent to court in order to stay close to Catherine and to keep a close eye on her at court. The two grew up together and were wild; always having fun of some sort. Midnight parties. Sharing their bed with boys. Cat was the Queen of Misrule over all the girls living in the house and had no idea that someday she would be a true Queen. Queen of England.

Cat was quite the stuck-up brat and I know for a fact I would not have enjoyed it as much if I had to listen to a story told through her eyes. Kitty was an extremely realistic character that I loved for her strength and determination. Life at court was as can be expected with the lies, the cheating, the double-crossing, and all the disloyalty anyone could ask for. I was hooked from page one.

I'm a huge historical fiction fan; however, I have had a difficult time finding good YA historical fiction that I truly enjoy. I'm happy to say that this one has an official spot at the very top of that list. Am quite excited to see how the author continues this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gilt.

04/20 page 14
4.0% "I think I kinda love this... yes, already."
04/20 page 35
9.0% "'I ran back to the house with the visions I had seen streaming out behind me like a veil, twisting and unwrapping but never tearing completely free.'"
04/20 page 71
18.0% "'William Gibbon. I pressed the name into my memory like a late summer bloom into the leaves of a book.'"
04/22 page 246
62.0% "Cross your fingers for me guys. Lots of reading time today?? Here's hoping. Am in love with this book and want to finish it up today. :D"
04/22 page 296
74.0% "And everything starts to unravel..."
01/27 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe I was approved for this, but I'm not a fan of historical-fiction. Will you be reading it soon? I look forward to seeing what you think of it.

Bonnie You know I'm a pretty big fan of historical fiction if they're done right, but I have a hard time (most of the time) with YA historical fiction. So I'm hoping this one is done right. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead So far, this is very good. I'm usually not a YA historical fiction fan.

Bonnie Oh good to hear, thanks Michelle!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! so glad we agreed on this one Bonnie :)

Bonnie Me too! :) I really enjoyed this one... it put me in a total historical fiction mood but I don't have anything else on hand. haha

message 7: by Wendy Darling (last edited Mar 04, 2013 11:39AM) (new)

Wendy Darling Hey--I plan on reading this eventually, but do I need to read it before reading Tarnish? I assume not, I know how those ladies ended up.

Bonnie Hmm... I haven't read Tarnish yet (only the summary) but I'd assume not as well. It sticks fairly well to the known history of the Tudors.

message 9: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Okay, thank you. :) A copy of the sequel randomly showed up today, and while I do want to read GILT, I don't know if I'll have time to do both before July.

What depressing endings all these books must have, hah.

Bonnie I love the Tudors so was really skeptical about how well it would be portrayed... but Gilt was fantastic. Not 100% historically accurate but was still great.

haha... I know... not the most cheerful time in history.

message 11: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling It's so good to hear that you and Michelle both liked this! I have a love/hate relationship with most historical novels, so it's nice to see both of you acknowledge this book's faults, but that you both liked it so much. 4 stars is great. :)

Bonnie I'd consider it a guilty pleasure considering the lack of historical accuracy but.. Still a good one. :)