Kiof's Reviews > Van Gogh: The Life

Van Gogh by Gregory White Smith

Apr 03, 12

Encyclopedic. And for a figure mired in myth, that seems more than appropriate. Side note: I unfortunately can relate to V.V.G.'s cosmic, constant f-ups and overbearing and single-minded love. And his biogrpahism. But man was he a fuckup. It is quite amazing how much trouble he got himself in. Flip to any page and he's got himself (and his brother usually) in a new tradegy. His life as a societal fuckup, to me, does no disservice to his art or even my idea of him as a person. He seems sympathetic at all times, despite his problems. His life was far from a sad life, though it has the every appearence of the most miserable existence (just look at his picture of the weeping man in the book). The trick is that he only had the most miserable life if you use the traditional societally approved measurements: prostitution as bad, lack of sanity as the same, and having no money ever and mooching off your brother as reprehensible. The constants of vicnent's life were things that we consider the biggest pitfalls in a person's life: his life was proof that a True Life, one worth remembering and bio-worthy, always slips through the cracks that of Life as is it supposed (as opposed to meant) to be lived. His life wasn't miserable, it was joyous. Because with any manic-depressive, the lows are as high-energy as the highs ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Van Gogh.