Shawn's Reviews > The Canterbury Tales

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Apr 19, 12

Read from April 03 to 18, 2012

A few notes:
- The rhyming scheme was extremely impressive. No wonder this took years to write.
- I don't give Chaucer many points for originality. The way the format was written, it was obvious that he was greatly inspired by Giovanni Boccaccio's "The Decameron" which I just finished reading a few weeks ago.
- The translation of this version was about as good as it could get. I picked up an issue of Canterbury Tales that was not translated into modern English and flipped through it and it was absolutely brutal. No way could I have gotten through that.
- Even with the good translation, I do admit I had to use Wikipedia as a guide to get me through the basic plots of some of the tales.
- Half the tales were very interesting and kept my attention. And the other half I found dull and was not interested in them at all.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canterbury Tales.

message 1: by Chuck (new)

Chuck This book brings out bad memories of my High School English class.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Witt Re: "Decameron" -- Interesting that Chaucer is the one that seems to make it into every high school lit class, though. I guess sometimes the 2nd generations of a style are better remembered than the original.