Barry De Carli's Reviews > After the Steaming Stops: Poems

After the Steaming Stops by Alice Osborn

Apr 03, 2012

Read in April, 2012

After receiving Alice Osborn's "After The Steaming Stops' the other day, I settled in to experience all of the sights, sounds, colors, aromas and emotions that flesh out her poems. I think that it is rare to find a poet with the ability to create accessible poems about real life that don't give away the store. Alice's writing can lull you into a comfortable place just before it shakes you out of your chair. "Ice Cream Party" was like that for me. I really liked "The History of Paint" which was so full of contrasting images and great lines like "What else does white hide?" and "never mind damage to lungs and blood vessels; the white lasted centuries." Alice is willing to take risks; I mean, a title poem about ironing? Really, but there is so much truth and emotion in those lines that even I "tasted the starch." I particularly liked "The Lesbians Next Door," and "Early" among others. Finding deeper meaning in ordinary life events and contrasting what we see on the outside with what is actually going on inside is a skill that Alice Osborn has honed well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Steaming Stops.