Beth's Reviews > Fiji

Fiji by Lance Morcan

1941524
May 31, 12

Read from May 26 to 30, 2012

This is the second of the Morcans’ novels I’ve had the pleasure of reading and I have to start immediately by saying I was not disappointed. After reading the Ninth Orphan, Fiji certainly seemed like a completely different type of tale and this was certainly true but it was equally enjoyable and well written.
Described as a “swashbuckling, historical, adventure-romance set in 19th century Fiji” I really did not know what to expect and thoughts of Pirates of the Caribbean did come to mind although there is nothing pirate-related in this novel and once I got into it, I was hooked. Particularly interested in the history and social anthropology of the Fijian tribes, I was extremely pleased to find out lots that I would never have known previously without having to read some dry non-fiction account. The ability to combine interesting historical fact with a tense and fractious plot line is a skill which these writers employ liberally and made this novel even more enjoyable for me.
The two lead characters, Nathan and Susannah both worked well for me, I particularly enjoyed the characterisation of Susannah and her inner struggle as her natural feminine instincts take over her Christian teachings and how she battles against them. However, I found the Fijian characters much more likeable and interesting, even ‘the Outcast’ Rambuka was a character I enjoyed reading.
The speed of the narrative quickens as the worst of the events unfold and the writers manage to tie in the thrill of the battle and action packed bloodlust with commonplace romance between two individuals, both wondering where the other may be and what the other really thinks of them and combination of these two works extremely well.
This novel was a total surprise to me, unlike The Ninth Orphan but definitely as enjoyable, I’m pleased to hear that a feature film of Fiji is being developed as I can already see how well it would play out.

Beth Townsend - The Kindle Book Review
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fiji.