Sara Diane's Reviews > Far Away Home

Far Away Home by Susan Denning

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, kindle, reviewed
Read in April, 2012

I got this book on an amazon deal for the Kindle, and I'm glad I didn't spend much money on it. The writing is shockingly simple--from the sentence structure to the vocab, I found this story to be too easy to read. At times, I wondered if this was more a story for children, but then the content would remind me that no, it was written for an older audience.

The main character, Aislynn, is 16 at the start, and growing up in New York around the time of Western expansion. When her father dies, she decided to pursue her guardian, who recently mvoed to Utah to find work. To complicate matters, she's in love with her guardian, and there's a young man her father essentially engaged her to before his untimely death. The young man goes with her, and she travels west, eventually finding her guardian.

There's the love triangle, there's a young girl who doesn't realize what she might have, blindly wants what she can't have, and ends up reaping the heartache. Instead of being a powerful cautionary tale, this story just left me with a "so what" sort of feeling at the end, with a tiny bit of "well, she was dumb". There are some interesting secondary characters, but Denning doesn't give them the time to really shine, and all her main characters (Aislynn, Tim, Johnny) are too flat. The only somewhat interesting MC, Moran, changes, but his changes are supported, and therefore are ineffective.

And we won't even bring up the questionable behavior of a young, supposedly well-behaved Catholic girl. The west was wild, but I feel like Denning put a little too much modern sensibility into the text. Her descriptions of Wyoming were accurate enough, though her timing on the train seems off to someone who has been through the area many times.

So, short story, I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone except the very bored.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far Away Home.