Les Orchard's Reviews > The Reality Dysfunction

The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton

Apr 27, 12

Read from April 03 to 20, 2012

4 stars, but I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to like this series when I'm done. Still, I can't stop reading it now. 1000+ pages in, and the story is just about to hit escape velocity. There are a lot of plot threads, so many that I can't believe the author will be able to pay out on all of them. I want to finish the series (another 2000+ pages, I think) as much to see the end of the story as to see how the author pulls this off.

I don't think these are spoilers, but a quick summary:

Mid- to far-future space opera. Faster than light travel, though no FTL (or even instantaneous) communication beyond packets carried on ships. Space colonies. Bio-tech (ie. bitek) and living starships in the Edenist culture, co-existing with bio-tech-phobic religious throwback Adamist culture.

And then: The dead start coming back from limbo to possessing the living. They kick the ass out of anything technological, having apparently magic (ie. "energistic") powers. Oh, and the human species isn't the first to whom it's happened.

Insofar as any of the above constitute spoilers, I'd say you should be armed with this information before you decide to dive into the book and decide whether it sounds appealing. (It did to me)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reality Dysfunction.

04/03/2012 page 150