Mrsinserra's Reviews > Enchantments

Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, ebooks, arc-s
Read from April 03 to 24, 2012

I was not at all impressed with this book. I know that people rave about Enchantments, but honestly, it creeped me out. The book started out ok. Alyosha and Masha forming a friendship, but it went downhill quickly after that.

Masha gives quite detailed renditions of her father, Rasputin’s, sex life multiple times throughout the book. Very creepy. Why would a daughter be privileged to this kind of knowledge? All I know was that if the point of this book was to make me think even worse about Rasputin, then it served it’s purpose.

Then there was the whole part about Masha and Alyosha and his trying to have sex with her, actually frequently pushing himself on her when they were both super young! Creepy. Oh and did I mention that when he was separated from Masha he just turned to a girl who was super slutty and a bit older than him but who wanted the opportunity to have sex with the “future tsar.” He then had sex (frequently) with her and described it in very vibrant details. Eww gross.

Next you have the end of the story where Masha describes multiple times, in detail about how her husband, who her father wanted her to marry, frequently rapes her. Just peachy.

I really have nothing positive to say about this story, I wasted my time reading it. I wish I had never done so. It gave me nightmares for several days anytime I even thought about how disturbing it was.

This book is NOT appropriate for kids under 18. This is 100% an adult book, even though the characters are kids.

I received this book as an ARC. I do not get paid to review books; I do so in order to assist parents and teachers in recommending appropriate books for your kids to read.

Please read more of my reviews on my blog: sarahereads(dot)wordpress(dot)com

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchantments.