Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > Flight of Aquavit

3920693
Apr 03, 12

Read in April, 2006

Rating: 3.25* of five

The Book Report: Saskatoon's only gay PI, Russell Quant, is hired by a mysterious client to discover and neutralize (this is Canada, folks, it doesn't mean "kill" to them) a blakcmailer known only as "Loverboy," who is making life a living nightmare for several people with secrets.

And doesn't every single body around Russell prove to have them? Neighbor and glamourous gal-pal Sereena seems to be a walking secret, as a trip to New York City makes sharply obvious. Even Russell's Ukrainian matushka, who--horrors!--arrives for a visit mid-case, even she has secrets!

And as Loverboy ratchets up the mean-and-nasty, Russell ends up in serious physical danger. When all comes right in the end, this reader was moved to cheer. Not recommended for those who do not live alone, though.

My Review: I swoon about every ten pages, I've fallen so deeply in luuuuv with Russell. He's so *dreamy*!

But on a more hard-headed note, the first novel in the series (Amuse Bouche) had character-development flaws that I'd've hoped not to see in this book. Not so. Some characters are treated to a big build-up and then left. Some have huge developments in their lives that are casually passed off. It grates on me a little bit.

But in the end, I really enjoy visiting Saskatoon, and I quite like the sense of joining Russell's life that Bidulka manages to convey. Particularly fun is Russell's heavily accented mother..."sonsyou" (basically "sonny boy") is the only thing she calls him...and the obvious thought is that Ukrainian gay boy Bidulka is drawing on life experience here.

Book three here I come! I need to know more about Russell. After all, we're going to be married. Soon as I get finished with that transfictional rematerializer in the garage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight of Aquavit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Let me know when you get that transfictional rematerializer working. I'd really like to have a working lightsaber or teleporter of some type.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Dan wrote: "Let me know when you get that transfictional rematerializer working. I'd really like to have a working lightsaber or teleporter of some type."

I was planning on zappin' myself a Star Trek-universe replicator. I think I could manage a light saber, though.