Rachel's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Jul 16, 12

Read from May 28 to July 14, 2012

I just can't decide if this interesting concept of a half-robot girl living in a futuristic "New-Beijing" needed the Cinderella Story aspect or not. It really did stand on its own very well and at times seemed like the story took off on its own and then suddenly remembered that it needed to stick to the Cinderella plot and would zoom back. Then again, it was kind of fun to see how this totally original idea took on the classic tale. I had a lot of fun reading it. Of course, like all books seem to do these days, there wasn't much of a resolution beyond the set up for a second novel which won't be out for a year or so. That's kind of driving me crazy. I admit to not having the best memory but seeing as how I read dozens of books a year I have a hard time maintaining my enthusiasm for a sequel when I can barely remember the plot of its predecessor a year later. Just sayin'. Is it just me or are there fewer and fewer novels that just stand on their own lately? Oh well - this was a really enjoyable read and I'll put the sequel on my to-read list and see if I can remember that for a year.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.