Alex's Reviews > Six Characters in Search of an Author

Nov 19, 2015

bookshelves: 2012, reading-through-history, rth-lifetime
Recommended for: imaginary people
Read on April 01, 2012

Recently, casually, a friend mentioned who he thinks I am. It was not at all who I think I am! Among other things, his version of me - inexplicably - is not a Viking. I'm pretty sure he was projecting there, but how would I know? Is there anyone less qualified to interpret me than me?

Pirandello's absurdist 1921 play is about how we create our own realities: how each of us choose to play a character, to such an extent that we sometimes sit outside ourselves, watching our characters act out their scenes. And some part of us sits outside that, watching the watcher, and who knows who lives at the bottom of it all? And it's about the subjective nature of reality: how to each of us, the scenes we live through may be be completely different to each actor in them.

This is what Pirandello's dealing with, at least until Act III when he starts to talk about the writing process and also to wrap up his own plot. It's all very smart, and often funny. My character enjoys it. A character under that thinks it's a little show-offy. A character under that is afraid he didn't get it at all, and a character under that is afraid that his opinion hasn't even been written.
26 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Characters in Search of an Author.

04/10 marked as: read

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer D i love getting my brain into shit like this. sounds awesome, alex.

Alex Right? Yeah, I never get tired of stuff like this.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer D i love the last paragraph in your review!!

Alex Ha...thanks. The benefits of writing reviews after two glasses of wine.

message 5: by Liz M (new)

Liz M I love this play! I am glad you enjoyed it!