Roger's Reviews > Black Powder War

Feb 09, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: src_kindle, type_fantasy
Read in March, 2012

This is the third book I've read in the series. I'm sure a lot of other people will give you a synopsis of the story and do a much better job that I could. I'll just tell you how I liked the book.

I'd have to say it was only "okay" for me. My memory is I liked the first two books much better than this one. It suffers from the problem that I've found in a couple of books lately. That is the person I view as the main character doesn't seem to influence and control the events around him. Problems are resolved but they are resolved because of chance or the actions of other characters in the book.

I found myself thinking of Hornblower series, which I love and have read many times, by C.S. Forrester several times as I read this book. Hornblower faced many problems throughout the series and to the best of my memory they were always overcome but his intelligence and action. Even if there was a lucky occurrence it was his ability to seize the luck and manipulate it to fit the situation that led to the successful resolution of the problem. I just didn't get that in this version of the book.

I don't want to discourage you from reading the book. It had interesting sections and I don't consider it a waste of time. It just didn't have some of the elements that I really like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Powder War.