C.G.'s Reviews > Me, Myself & Bob: A True Story about God, Dreams, and Talking Vegetables

Me, Myself & Bob by Phil Vischer

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-book-list
Read from April 03 to 05, 2012

I didn't know what to expect from this book by VeggieTales creator, Phil Vischer. The reviews I read on Amazon before I purchased it were mixed, but overall, positive. I've read so many flops lately, that I was skeptical about giving another unknown book a chance, but I'm SO GLAD that I did! Even if you've never heard of or watched an episode of VeggieTales, there is much to be learned from Phil's story (not to mention the bonus, if you have watched VT, of finding out where Jimmy and Jerry Gourd's names came from!).

I read "Me, Myself & Bob" out loud to my husband - almost finishing the book in one day. Neither of us could put it down. Phil walks the reader through his childhood, his parent's divorce (and how that affected him), his lifelong love of film and storytelling, the steps and hard work that built up Big Idea Productions (parent company of VeggieTales), and the eventual fall and bankruptcy of everything he had worked so hard to create.

Most of the reviews that I read, prior to picking up a copy of "Me, Myself & Bob", were iffy about the first 1/2 of the story, and glowing about the last few pages where Phil explains "what he learned today" out of the whole mess. Personally, we both enjoyed the entire book and didn't feel like the first 1/2 was boring or full of "poor me" stories - it gives the reader the background that they have to have in order to understand the lessons that Phil learned in the end.

Phil's ultimate lesson learned was that it WASN'T about the relationship between Big Idea and God, it was about PHIL and God. He had to get to the point where he understood that it wasn't about the plans that HE had for his life and how he was supposed to serve the Lord, it was about letting go and letting God direct his path. Having been in a situation where we had to let go and trust that God knew what He was doing, far better than we did, this totally hit home for us, and was encouraging to read of another's travels down a similar path.

"Me, Myself & Bob" is one of the BEST books I have read in quite a while, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has gone through or will go through a period of life when they had to come to grips with the idea that GOD is in control, HE has a plan, and we just need to go along for the ride.

Well written, Mr. Vischer - we can't wait to see where God takes you next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me, Myself & Bob.