Jeanie's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

May 19, 12

Read from May 07 to 19, 2012

This is another conflicting book for me. It had words of wisdom regarding thankfulness, enjoying the moment and her story about the homeless man was moving. However, eucharisteo is on every page of this book and it seemed to me that her salvation came from her thankfulness rather than a by product of her salvation. She brought up the 10 lepers and one came to thank Jesus and he did because of who Jesus was. The other 9 lepers did were only concerned about that they received physical healing. This seemed very emergent in style and in delivery. The Gospel was never proclaimed. That is why we can be thankful. Grace abounds when we receive our gift and give to others the same grace.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

Quotes Jeanie Liked

Ann Voskamp
“They say time is money, but that's not true. Time is life. And if I want the fullest life, I need to find fullest time... the busyness of your life leaving little room for the source of your life...

God gives us time. And who has time for God?

Which makes no sense.”
tags: faith

Ann Voskamp
“Being in a hurry. Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me. I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry. But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing.... Through all that haste I thought I was making up time. It turns out I was throwing it away.”

Ann Voskamp
“Our fall was, has always been, and always will be, that we aren’t satisfied in God and what He gives. We hunger for something more, something other.”

Ann Voskamp
“Simplicity is ultimately a matter of focus.”

Ann Voskamp
“When we lay the soil of our hard lives open to the rain of grace and let joy penetrate our cracked and dry places, let joy soak into our broken skin and deep crevices, life grows. How can this not be the best thing for the world? For us?”

Ann Voskamp
“A life contemplating the blessings of Christ becomes a life acting the love of Christ.”

05/16/2012 page 127
55.0% "The book starts very tragically and the rest is more of a therapy session. I so much appreciate the thankfulness of God has done and that alone can change anyone prespective. However, this book is more about experience not the whole truth. Partical truth can be dangerous to the christian."
05/16/2012 page 127
05/19/2012 page 178
77.0% "Are your expectations really entitlements that inflate self, offends God, takes out joy"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeanie Read this review...a little harsh but I think it is good for reflection.

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie This is one on my to-read list because I have a few friends that really liked it. My guess would be that maybe it wasn't meant to read like a theology book, and since I've heard that it's written like poetry my thought is that maybe it's more about artistic expression than about being point-by-point theologically explanatory (not saying that art is exclusive of truth, just that it spotlights certain things and can be misinterpreted...Although of course I'm speaking as one who hasn't read it yet, so I'll have to "evaluate" it then).

Jeanie Yes, she does write it like poetry however, she makes theology comments as well. In Psalms even though that is poetry, you have a clear picture of who God is. I did'nt get that with this. I was somewhat dissapointed. I will be interested in seeing what you think

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen I am so glad you wrote this review, I will look elsewhere. I was going to add it.