Lisa's Reviews > The Taker

The Taker by Alma Katsu

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 03 to 04, 2012

It's been a while since a book has haunted me consistently like this one has/is. Even a few days after finishing it scenes suddenly flood my mind and emotions, sometimes making me pause in the middle of whatever I'm doing just so I can fully ponder it all.

'The Taker' is a dark, heart wrenching tale of unrequited love, obsession, and the price of immortality. (Yet, that seems a very weak summation.)

It's a romance, but nothing like your average romance. It's a paranormal, but everyone is human, just some of them are immortal (no powers). Lanore and Jonathan are young adults, but it's definitely not YA. It is severely tragic, but hopeful. 'The Taker' is unlike anything I've read in a long time.

At times the subject matter almost became so unbearably heartbreaking that I didn't know if I could take any more, but at the same time I was so compelled to know what the next page brought that putting it down (and leaving it down) was impossible.

There was a great deal of sexual content, nondescript, but much of it abusive (physical & emotional) or just plain wicked and indulgent on the part of the characters. It was clearly not *about* the sex with this book, though. Nothing escapist about it; the underlying sense of loneliness, desperation, or feeling of imprisonment within the characters was a tangible presence in all their actions and interactions.

Needless to say, I cried a lot. It stirred my emotions and provoked deep thought. I enjoy a good melancholy story where things sometimes just don't play out the way your heart aches for them to. (I guess it's the masochist in me.)

While I was right in the thick of it I was firmly decided that I did *not* want to read the next book, I just couldn't... however, by the time I reached the end I was chomping at the bit for book 2. (which isn't out until June, unfortunately)

The author, Alma Katsu, reassured me that the next 2 books in this trilogy will get lighter and have more romance as they go. Which only increases my level of anticipation for them!

Update: I changed my rating to 5 stars because that is a rating I only give to books that I want to, or feel compelled to read more than once. I couldn't resist reading this one again! And luckily I wasn't as much of a crybaby the 2nd time around. Not much longer til The Reckoning!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sonya  I'm reading it now. You summed up my feelings about it perfectly!

message 2: by PM (new)

PM Ohh, sounds good! I'm getting it.

Ellen I went back and changed my rating to five stars, after a few days. I figured a book that stayed with me that long deserved 5 stars.