Brandy's Reviews > The Dead Fathers Club

The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig

Jul 18, 2007

bookshelves: 2007reads, audiobooks, mystery, adult, friendship
Read in July, 2007

This may be one of the best audio books I've listened to in some time. At its heart, this is a familiar story--a boy's father dies, and the ghost swings by to accuse the uncle. Who is now moving in on Mom. Ghost makes son swear revenge, etc. Yes, it's Hamlet, only we're not in seventeenth-century Denmark. We're outside London, present-day, and the boy in question is twelve years old.

The story is told in long, rambling sentences with lots of repetition, which really works for the tone and voice of the book. The narrator on the audio is Andrew Dennis, who at 12 years old has already won a BBC Audiobooks "Voice of Bath" competition, and he does an amazing job with reading Philip Noble's story. He's grieving, confused, angry, and desperate, and every single emotion comes through in the audio version.

Whether you read reviews, plot synopses, or what, literate readers will recognize this as straight-up Hamlet, which does lead to few surprises down the line. (Aside from the Noble family themselves, two of Philip's friends are siblings Leah and Dane.) Still, the plot pulls along, and the reader is just left hoping, hoping, something will be different from the source material. (Whether it is or isn't is not for me to tell, though!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Fathers Club.