Shoshana's Reviews > His at Night

F 50x66
Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: adult, romance
Read in March, 2012

Sherry Thomas continues to impress me. In fact, I'm really not going to argue at all with the Lisa Kleypas blurb on the front of all her books, which says that Thomas is "the most powerfully original historical romance author writing today." She is both original - a hefty feat in historical romance, forgive-me-genre-that-I-love - and powerful. Her characters compel me; she puts her peak dramatic moments exactly where I want them and does 'em up right; she really is up there with Quinn and Milan for me, and not really anybody else.

I love that her heroine is in a desperate situation but not one in which she is totally helpless. I love when heroines have horrible lives and have been through hell (drama! drama! drama!); I hate hate hate hate hate when authors put their (almost always heroines) in situations where they can actually DO NOTHING to help themselves and rely solely on the mercy of whomever they're with/subject to. So I appreciate that Thomas strikes that balance. I also appreciate that she accomplishes a secret agent novel without me hating it. Because I hate historical romances where the hero is a secret agent. (Not as much as I hate the helpless heroine conundrum, but still.) But I like this one! I like that her heroes and heroines in all of her books are different; she doesn't write a recognizable type. I've read the one with the estranged couple, the one with the divorced couple where she's cold and he betrayed her, the one where she's his chef, and this one - the marriage of convenience, which she traps him into! (Yes! Yes! Love!) I love that usually at least one of her protagonists has a career; she's mostly setting her books later than Regency, so it's believable, but still early enough that a lot of the structures we love from Regencies are still present.

This would actually be maybe a five-star book - it really is one of the top romances I've read - but for one sex scene that in real life would have been rape. It's supposed to not be because she secretly wants it and we get it from her perspective, but HE doesn't know that when he drunkenly coerces her through her feelings of responsibility and debt into participating. A few slight changes to the scene would have redeemed it, so it was very frustrating that she didn't make those changes.

Not a minor quibble, but I'm still not willing to dock it more than one star, because I was so satisfied with the rest of the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His at Night.