Inge's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Oct 13, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, put-a-sock-in-it, high-expectations-got-disappointed, douchebag-alert
Read from June 12 to 16, 2012

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you have been following my status updates for Insurgent, this gif will look very familiar to you. That is because I have used it twice in a row. I wanted to use it again, but that might have been overdoing it. Sadly, I didn't enjoy Insurgent as much as I thought I would. The first 100 pages were a total snore-fest and I was literally vibrating my lips just like that, because that was more interesting than what I was reading. I already have concentration issues, and Insurgent didn’t hold my attention for very long. I really wanted to like this book. I wanted to love it and marry it and have tiny literary babies with it. I had high hopes. Very high hopes. Maybe too high. I think it is safe to say that Insurgent was my most anticipated book for this year. I needed this book, I was yearning for it. And it left me sorely disappointed.

Since I read Divergent only a couple months ago, I didn’t have any trouble recalling who everyone was and what happened. Nevertheless, I did read the summary Veronica Roth provided us with and it freshened up my memory. I was good to go. I actually liked the fact that there were no pages wasted recalling everything that had happened in the previous book. That’s typical for this series – the speed. No time wasted. Just getting straight to the point. And I liked it. Lord knows this book was long enough as it was.

Tris was not the badass girl we knew from last time. Don’t get me wrong, she had every right to be sad and less badass. I completely understand. I am a very empathetic person, you see. *nods* She lost both of her parents and killed one of her best friends. That’s bound to leave permanent, emotional scars. But she also turned into a whiny, Bella Swan-like persona, constantly whimpering about her past actions (the past is the past, Tris! You can’t change what happened!) and her relationship with Four. And don’t even get me started on Four. Okay, you’ve asked for it. Four, or Tobias as dear Tris now so lovingly calls him, was not the brooding, sexy Four we knew from Divergent. He was selfish (a Dauntless trait), mean, judgmental and not likeable at all. I was not able to swoon over him (a girl needs to swoon!) and basically I just wanted to whip him with a belt (oh yeah, I went there).

There were too many unimportant characters I couldn’t care less about and the villains were so easily dealt with that it was laughable. As was the major cliffhanger. Only not. Having read The Maze Runner quite recently, I saw the ending coming from miles away. It did not make me gasp, nor did it make me beg for more. I won’t have any trouble waiting for the third instalment, though I will read it, because I want to know how it ends. I assume this is a trilogy? I just hope Insurgent suffered from the ‘Second Novel Curse’ and Detergent (or however the third book will be called) will be a lot better again.

And Tobias, I’m warning you. You better not be a fucknuckle anymore, or you’ll have to deal with my knuckles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

06/12/2012 page 1
0.0% "I have heard plenty of things about this book without ever coming across a single spoiler, so I'm pretty proud of myself.

The moment of truth." 2 comments
06/12/2012 page 52
10.0% " Image and video hosting by TinyPic" 3 comments
06/13/2012 page 102
19.0% " Image and video hosting by TinyPic" 7 comments
06/13/2012 page 152
29.0% "Okay, things are finally picking up! About time too."
06/13/2012 page 162
31.0% ""I watch him walk away. I feel like a space has opened up within me, expanding so rapidly it will break me apart."

Agh that sounds like New Moon."
06/14/2012 page 238
45.0% "All right, it's getting better. Still no Divergent, though."
06/14/2012 page 276
53.0% "Ding dong the bitch is dead. Well, one of 'em."
06/15/2012 page 307
58.0% ""I thought I had gotten to the point where I didn't need my brother anymore, but I don't think such a point actually exists."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic <3"
06/16/2012 page 428
82.0% "Confused."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

haha yea lol

Inge I need this book!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

yea i need this book to it comes out today or tomorrow!!!

Kruti I know how you feel! I was disappointed as well.

Amber J. LOL @ Detergent

All the negative reviews of this book are making me nervous :s
I really loved Divergent and Four was the main reason - maybe I just shouldn't read the book lol

message 6: by Inge (last edited Jun 16, 2012 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge There are also a lot of raving reviews, so you'll really have to see for yourself.

Personally I thought Four was a dickhead in this book.

Ruby Detergent...hahahahhha brilliant!!

Gillian I agree with you so much on this review. Especially about the Maze Runner. I had even been on Veronica's website recently and there is a part where she talks about the Maze Runner! I was really upset by that fact, I didn't like the Maze Runner very much. This book fell short for me after Divergent.

Shirlyn Chin haha. Fucknuckle. Is that a word? Nontheless, it's true though. Tris does remind me of Bella in this book.Detergent. Haha. Most authors mess up the second book, isn't it? And can I know what is 'The Maze Runner'??

Irroc29 You made me laugh! (Ya I went there)

message 11: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Shirlyn wrote: "haha. Fucknuckle. Is that a word? Nontheless, it's true though. Tris does remind me of Bella in this book.Detergent. Haha. Most authors mess up the second book, isn't it? And can I know what is 'Th..."

Fucknuckle is a word I picked up from A Girl Like You by Gemma Burgess, a fantastic book which made me laugh hysterically :D Oh yes, the Second Novel Curse is definitely a thing, unfortunately. The Maze Runner is a trilogy by James Dashner, which is fantastic in every single way :) go check them out!

@ Irroc29: Thank you! :D

Shirlyn Chin Thank you Inge, I'll definitely check it out. Looking forward to more of your awesome reviews... Yours are always the most original...and colourful ones(if you know what I mean). #wink#

message 13: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Shirlyn wrote: "Thank you Inge, I'll definitely check it out. Looking forward to more of your awesome reviews... Yours are always the most original...and colourful ones(if you know what I mean). #wink#"

Haha, thank you so much! :D My exams will be over on Tuesday, so expect more elaborate reviews after that.

Nadhira Amalia it's sad, but however i agree with ur opinion. i felt the same way too. especcially about four T__T i even prefer peter, and uriah.. and also caleb

Jackie Not done reading this yet, but Four is also pissing me off. I feel like Tris' way of dealing with the events that have happened is realistic, but that doesn't make it any more annoying. I think Roth could have shown the agony Tris is experiencing in a better way, maybe something on a deeper level that isn't quite so 'on the surface' for lack of a better word. It definitely is starting to feel a little Bella-ish.

message 16: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Jackie wrote: "Not done reading this yet, but Four is also pissing me off. I feel like Tris' way of dealing with the events that have happened is realistic, but that doesn't make it any more annoying. I think Rot..."

I hope it'll improve for you, but if you're already dissatisfied then I doubt it. It's just not as good as Divergent.

Scarlet Haha, I love this review! :D

message 18: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Scarlet wrote: "Haha, I love this review! :D"

Holly Fucknuckle. I'm going to use that.

message 20: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Holly wrote: "Fucknuckle. I'm going to use that."

Courtesy of A Girl Like You :)

Amanda Bookworm glad i am not the only one that was like TRIS! quit being so whiny and weird and just be kick ass again!

Mélodie lol detergent:P
yeah I thought Insurgent Kinda sucked too.... I loved Divergent and was waiting to read a wonderful sequel but then i read THAT.

message 23: by Julian (new)

Julian Greystoke "Detergent (or whatever the third book will be called)" I laughed aloud! I agree with your review 100%

message 24: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Thanks, girls!

Raquel Perez I totally agree on you with this book.... I felt cheated of my time after reading the second book I really hope that last one is better written then this one!

message 26: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Raquel wrote: "I totally agree on you with this book.... I felt cheated of my time after reading the second book I really hope that last one is better written then this one! "

I personally liked the last book better than this one, but there are a lot of people out there who will disagree with me. So it's up to you. Hope you enjoy!

Kelly This review is probably the best review on this book. NO, it definitely is the best review. I completely agree with you on EVERYTHING. T o b i a s (what fucking name is Tobias anyway) stupid little mommy's bitch.

This book destroyed my hopes and dreams. It was so bad that the most likable character in here was PETER (...yeah, you heard me). Nevertheless, lets all pray for the third installment.

message 28: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Kelly wrote: "This review is probably the best review on this book. NO, it definitely is the best review. I completely agree with you on EVERYTHING. T o b i a s (what fucking name is Tobias anyway) stupid little..."

Hahaha, thank you so much! I actually like the name Tobias, but not in the way they butchered it in the movie. He was very annoying in this book though. What a douche.