Kristin's Reviews > The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories

The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: classics, spooky, short-stories
Read from April 03 to 04, 2012

I will start by saying that there were some stories in this collection that were superb. But then I have to admit that there were times in other stories that I was just plain confused. WHAT did I just read?? I get that part of the spookiness of Lovecraft's style is the unknown quality of the events/creatures/whatever in his stories. I guess I am just too OCD sometimes, but some of the stories just did not have enough explanation. I suppose I have a need to know why something happens; I hate loose ends.

His prose is moody and lovely and his vocabulary is challenging. I consider myself above average in intelligence, but I found myself on dictionary.com more than a few times. Thank goodness I was on vacation at the time and was able to enjoy learning these new words. I do not think I can read Lovecraft everyday...work, children, laundry, etc are way too distracting to be able to fully concentrate.

I do not recommend Lovecraft for the average reader, but if you like to feel your brain working/growing, I say go for it! I enjoyed these stories and will come back to Lovecraft again someday when I am able to devote my full attention to his work. This is NOT for reading in quick snippets in the carpool line while waiting for the kids to be dismissed from school. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories.