Jonnah D.'s Reviews > Chopsticks

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: owned-books
Read on April 03, 2012

Wow. New, unconventional reads just keep amazing me at every single turn! Here I was, little miss "I'm too good for picture books so screw you!", and I purchased this novel without a moment's hesitation.

I love the story. I love the narrative. I love how it's basically the epitome of show not tell, which is a really effective technique in terms of writing. Since the novel wasn't exactly written, it was told through a series of photographs (it's kind of a photo essay novel now, if you think about it). It's very effective and very touching because of how the photographs were taken. As someone who has taken a bit of photography, the composition of the photographs was well done. Each detail really does count in a novel made completely out of visuals. Every little colour, the angle, the composition, the colouring, the content - all of it is relevant to the story's progression. It's not just a book made of pictures that you just flip through. It's a novel made to be analyzed and close read, which I believe is quite admirable.

In a way, the novel forces readers to really find out what's going on. Sure, the story is told in the photographs simply enough but there are so many intricate, clever pieces in between the shots and visuals that it's really amazing how it was all played out. The way the visuals interacted and created a story, it was like flipping through a really good indie film. I love the recurring images of flowers and Chopsticks in the entire story. It says so much about Frank's inner character and Glory's desires. It was really quite lovely for such an unconventional piece. It's fresh, it's exciting, and the concept is daring. I really, really, really liked the story and the novel itself is amazing. Bravo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chopsticks.