Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > We Heard the Heavens Then: A Memoir of Iran

We Heard the Heavens Then by Aria Minu-Sepehr

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012, memoir, middle-east, non-fiction
Read from April 03 to 04, 2012

I really like memoirs. I especially like memoirs when they're about places and times that I don't know much about. We're about 30 years past the Iranian Revolution and there are still new perspectives and information that are coming out about that time period from a broad variety of sources. Aria Minu-Sepehr was just about 10 years old when the revolution took place. Even at that young age, he was well aware that his life was going to change. His family was very well off under the Shah and his dad was a military hero. Both of these things made his family a target for the new regime. In typical child fashion, Aria doesn't realize what he has and takes all of the things and opportunities that his family can provide for him for granted. He's definitely a little spoiled in the beginning of the book but the things that he goes through and the experiences that he looks back on him definitely change him.

I think that this is the first book about the Iranian Revolution that I've read that was told through the point of view of a person who was a child at the time looking back over the events that happened in 1979. Even though children aren't always fully aware of what's going on at the time, they are still more perceptive a lot of times than we really give them credit for.

This book is definitely a good one for those that are looking for a different take on an event whose affects the world is still dealing with today. At it's core, it is really a human story about how a family finds that the country where they have lived for just about forever can no longer be a safe home. It's heart breaking and funny at some points and show just how resilient we humans really can be.

Bottom line: History and memoir lovers will enjoy this one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Heard the Heavens Then.