David Ketelsen's Reviews > Equal of the Sun

Equal of the Sun by Anita Amirrezvani

May 14, 12

Read from May 06 to 13, 2012

I received this book free through a Goodreads giveaway contest.

This book is told from the point of view of Javaher, an eunuch in 16th century Persia. He's in the employ of Princess Pari Khan Khanoom, the daughter of his former employer, the recently deceased Shah Tahmasb I of Iran. Equal of the Sun refers to Princess Pari, who was greatly admired by Javaher. This book is written as if penned by Javaher in an attempt to preserve the memory of the princess after she was murdered by agents of her brother.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The author, Anita Amirrezvani, conveys the feel and mindset of an age and culture far different from ours. At least half my enjoyment of this book was the sheer delight in feeling such a different culture. While most of the book is fictional since not much is known about Princess Peri's life, the author, Anita Amirrezvani, used is was known about Iran in 1576 to weave a very interesting and plausible account of Peri's last year.

And what a last year it was. Fratricide was in the air as the various sons of Shah Tahmasb vied to rule the kingdom, and perhaps the princesses were in the thick of things too. Treasure was strewn about in attempts to curry favor and the commoners were often fodder in the game. Exciting but dangerous times which make for great reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Equal of the Sun.