DayDreamer's Reviews > Lover at Last

Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

~~
No one got forever. And it was a fucking crime to waste what you were given.
Lover Reborn

The book isn't perfect (flawless books don't exist) or even close to it, but my expectations were satisfied. Rated on its merit, it would be 4 stars. BUT as it makes a major breaktrough in mainstream fiction, and that is a BIG DEAL, my rating will be 5 stars.
Also:
*I've been waiting for this since LM.
*It got me into m/m, for which it deserves another star.

That doesn't say I'm happy with all of it. The (too) many subplots were boring as hell - I skipped a lot of the non-Qhuay chapters on my first read and I haven't gotten around to a second one. Time limitations suck big time, but whatever, March is a busy month.

So, subplots. Many of them were totally unrelated to the main story and seemed unnecessary to develop at that particular point. It felt like Ward was trying to take the book as far as possible from the novella status (non world-building) it was originally to get, and tell people, "Hey, see, you can't miss this book because X and Y (and A and B and C and...)" have a huge storyline here." Not really appealing. I think, story-wise, I would have been happier with a novella. Although, I am truly happy it is a novel, because as stated earlier - and it deserves to be mentioned multiple times, this is a big deal.

Assail - kinda interesting. Not enough.
Xcor - I ship him with Throe so hard. (view spoiler)
Trez - skipped most of it. The more I learned about the Shadows, the less impressed I was. I liked them more as mysterious variables. This is... meh. (view spoiler)
Layla - meh.
Wrath - set up for the novella NOVEL The King. Put in the right place, this one, but I couldn't care less.
Saxton - surprising POV, contributed to the main story. I truly liked it.
Luchas - Now I'm supposed to like him? No deal. (view spoiler)
lessers - booooring

Blay and Qhuinn
I'm satisfied, if not completely happy, with what we got. My worst fears were unfounded.
+ (view spoiler) - although
- (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

I'm not sure I'll be reading anything else from J.R. Ward. But with her speed, I could keep wondering for the next five (ten?) years, and then read all she's gotten out in a week.

To be edited. Maybe.

THE Point: Qhuay's story got told, and in a mainstream novel.
On the whole, I'm in a happy place about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover at Last.

Quotes DayDreamer Liked

J.R. Ward
“I am very comfortable with conflict, be it of the legal or mortal kind. My father was a mediator, a bridge maker. I am a grave maker.”

J.R. Ward
“You've always had me ... and my heart. My soul. Everything. I wish it hadn't taken this long for me to man up.”

J.R. Ward
“Shit. With Qhuinn looking at him like that, he couldn’t remember his own name. Blaysox? Blacklock? Blabberfox? Who the fuck knew…”

J.R. Ward
“I have loved you for years. I have been in love with you for years and years and years ... throughout school and training ... before transitions and afterward ... when you approached me and yes, even now that you're with Saxton and you hate me. And that ... shit ... in my fucking head locked me down, locked everything down ... and it cost me you.”

J.R. Ward
“In his fantasy, he kissed his best friend again, pulled back, and… “I love you,” he said into the spray of the shower. “I… love you.” As he closed his eyes against the pain, it was hard to know how much of what ran down his cheeks was water, and how much was something else.”
tags: qhinn

J.R. Ward
“I lived for the night, because I could go over to your house. It was the only thing that kept me going. You were the only thing, actually. It was… you.”

J.R. Ward
“Otherwise, three little words would have leaked from his mouth. And undoubtedly doomed him in ways he couldn’t even guess at.
Bad time. Bad place.
For that kind of thing.
Forever.”
tags: blay

J.R. Ward
“Turned out Qhuinn was a snuggler. Who knew—and how fabulous.”
J.R. Ward, Lover at Last

Aiko That actually gives me goosebumps. I've waited 3 years. I can wait one more. Just hope she makes it worth the wait.

DayDreamer I've been waiting only half the time you have, and still I wish I had a time machine. You are obviously much more patient than I am.

Andri DayDreamer wrote: "If I knew for sure she wouldn't fuck it up, I wouldn't mind the waiting so much. But I don't, so I do. I really, really hope she makes it worth it. Their HEA must be perfect after all that torture she's put them through.
"

I agree with you DayD. The waiting is killing me.
*\0/* TEAM ALPHA-BLAY *\0/* Forever ♥♥♥

message 4: by Kali (new)

Kali I agree with you DayDreamer. I hope their HEA is amazing. =)

DayDreamer It must be. They've earned it.

message 6: by Kali (new)

Kali Oh they sure have. I'm so sick of reading about Blay and Saxton which makes my stomach hurt. Lover Mine, Lover Unleashed and Lover Reborn. WE DEMAND QHUAY!!!!

Monique ~ Sinfully... Addicted to All Male Romance *wipes away a tear* I am so in love with these boys..:)

Andri Omg I'm so excited. I really can't wait to see their cover !!! <3

Monique ~ Sinfully... Addicted to All Male Romance Andri wrote: "Omg I'm so excited. I really can't wait to see their cover !!! <3"

Not long now Andre...loving your profile picture..)

Andri Thank you <3
Omg did you see???
Lover At Last !!!!!!!!
OMGGGGGGG

Monique ~ Sinfully... Addicted to All Male Romance Oh My.......he is gorgeous.....that cover is smoking hot!!!

Andri And the title <3 I have no words. It's PERFECT !!!

message 13: by Kali (new)

Kali Holy Freaking Shit!!!!

The title fits them perfect and he's HOT!!!!

DayDreamer That he is. :)

message 15: by Kali (new)

Kali I WISH IT WAS MARCH!!!!!!

Ralitsa  Koleva Can't f**** wait!

message 17: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney What page of Lover Reborn is that from???

DayDreamer Whitney wrote: "What page of Lover Reborn is that from???"

The last before the epilogue. ;)

Sorry for replying so late.

↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ I just can't wait, neither can my husband and daughter, so I'll shut up already. I have wanted this since pretrans, Blays room.

Lenore Great review, DD. Also, not that I'm complaining, I have no problem whatsoever with Qhuinn being gay, but the thought that she could have kept him bi crossed my mind, too.

DayDreamer :) Thanks.
It seemed so... out of sorts. Why wouldn't she leave him bi? I don't mind him being gay, either, it just seemed put there to create the final conflict.

Lenore Maybe she needed to make him gay so that Blay would be the one who helped him realise it. You know, in the context of Qhuinn owning everything to Blay.

DayDreamer Okay, I can get that.

message 24: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Love your review Dreamer.

Maybe/hopefully someone will edit out the sub plots and condense the Quay story into a novella - I think I might be a bit more enthused about it then.

deirdre Great review!! Such great points!!

message 26: by Jen (last edited Mar 27, 2013 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen THE Point: Qhuay's story got told, and in a mainstream novel.
On the whole, I'm in a happy place about it.

BINGO.

I agreed with so much of your review!

Angela Loved your review Daydreamer. I like Shelly's idea of it being condensed into a novella.

message 28: by Anna (Bananas!) (last edited Mar 31, 2013 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna  (Bananas!) Great review! The Shadows were much more interesting before this book. Loved Saxton's POV too. Throe and Xcor - YES! Much better than Xcor and Layla.

DayDreamer Thanks! :D
I know, right? The Shadows turned out so meh. Shame.
Saxton's POV was so awesome!

Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "LOL at this: And seriously, is everyone going to live in the mansion? Let's invite Assail and Xcor and the BoB, then. "
LOL. Well, it's true, isn't it? Everyone ends up there. I wonder how they have any space left.

Anna  (Bananas!) DayDreamer wrote: "I wonder how they have any space left.

Well, Sola and Assail will have to move in eventually. Fritz would give up his room I'm sure.

DayDreamer Mmm, yeah. And Saxton's mate, and Throe and Xcor (with Layla?) and Syphon and Zypher... Maybe they'll start expanding the building.

Anna  (Bananas!) "Saxton's mate" - my heart stopped for a second. :D

Anna  (Bananas!) I bet Butch is a handyman. He can help with construction.

DayDreamer Anna (Bananas!) wrote: ""Saxton's mate" - my heart stopped for a second. :D"

I hope she doesn't kill him off and actually gives him a HEA.

Anna  (Bananas!) She better not. *murder stare*

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review DayDreamer!! And wow didn't know there was a Xcor/Throe combination out there :DDD

DayDreamer That's probably because you don't like them. :D I feel there's a great dynamics between them and IMO there's a chance Ward will pair them both with Layla.

Blacky *Romance Addict* DayDreamer wrote: "That's probably because you don't like them. :D I feel there's a great dynamics between them and IMO there's a chance Ward will pair them both with Layla."

NO! Really? A Threesome? Actually I think that crossed my mind, but Layla doesn't feel anything for Throe at all.
Although there was that scene when Xcor was cutting his wrists after Throw went to BDB.
Hmm. Food for thought ahahhaha :D

DayDreamer Yeah. A slight possibility, although maybe not. :D We'll wait and see.

message 40: by Tully (new) - added it

Tully  Vincent Can this be read if haven't read/understood any of the others?

DayDreamer Tully wrote: "Can this be read if haven't read/understood any of the others?"

I don't think you could enjoy it completely if you're not familiar with the rest of the Qhuay storyline. The Qhuay story starts in book 6 (Lover Enshrined), goes on in 8 Lover Mine, 9 Lover Unleashed, and 10 Lover Reborn.

I personally don't think reading any of the rest is necessary if it's only Qhuinn/Blay you're after. The characters are introduced in books 3-4 but nothing major happens until Lover Enshrined.