Josh's Reviews > The Rising

The Rising by Will Hill

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: own, horror, read_2012, this_is_young_adult
Read from July 05 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy

'The Rising' is an intoxicating blend of horror, treachery, action and suspense fused together by a small group of Department 19 teen Operators whose bond is forged by the blood of their common foe - vampires. While the initial installment took great lengths to set the scene and build author Will Hill's world - 'The Rising' reads true to the genre of splatter punk horror and no holds bared violence. There are more graphic depictions of vampiric mutilation than in the predecessor. The gore isn't without cause though, with each scene evoking a true sense of dread towards the sharp toothed monsters, adding further insight into some of their utterly inhumane ways and contempt shown to their live-stock (humans).

This series is YA yet there is a distinctly mature feel about 'The Rising'. No only did the story evolve from the first book but Jamie's growth from adolescent to young man provides a nice semblance and balance to the story. Once again, the theme is mission driven, where first it was Jamie's mother lost, this time round, its a very close friend of Jamie's - one which will shock and awe fans with gruesome revelations, and interesting and thought provoking dynamics.

Of all the solid points, probably the most entertaining aspect to 'The Rising' is the ever expanding history of Department 19 and its sister agencies across the world. In addition to that, Will Hill provides further insight into the rise of the vampires by spotlighting two of the eldest and most dangerous vampires in Valeri and Valentin Rusmanov. Their relationship is one to keep an eye on - once brothers on the battlefield, now brothers in blood.

For the main trio of characters in Jamie, Kate and vampire turned Operative Larissa, all teens with raging hormones equal to their rage against evil vampires, the threats alluded to in the epilogue of 'Department 19' become all too real. Even the sanctuary of the Department 19 headquarters, The Loop is questionably secure. Without a doubt, this book had more twists and turns than most I've read in recent times - and more importantly, ones I didn't see coming. This series is really heating up, I cant wait to see what Will Hill does with the third instalment. 4 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rising.

07/05/2012 page 47
07/08/2012 page 137
23.0% "I'm enjoying the sequel to D19 especially the vampire origins. For some reason its taking me longer to read than I anticipated..."
show 4 hidden updates…