Ausjenny's Reviews > Love on the Range

Love on the Range by Jessica Nelson

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: historical
Read in March, 2012

Thanks to Netgalley for my review copy.
this is an interesting book set in 1918, in the last year of WW1 and when the Spanish influenza was rife throughout the world. Gracelyn is sent to Oregon from Boston to her uncles to keep her away from the influenza, by her socialite parents. Oregon is along way from Boston and is like a different planet. The class system doesn't hold sway here. Trevor is working for her uncle in more ways than one. We find out hes more than just a rancher but also an government agent. Gracelyn wants to be a reporter and interview the infamous Striker who saves women from slavery and who in her mind is a hero. She also sees him and the interview as a way to become independent of her socialite parents who are more interested in arranging a marriage for her then letting her having a life of her choosing. I really like Gracelyn, she's stronger than she looks and has firm ideas. Trevor also have firm ideas and Gracelyn is causing issues in that regard. There are secondary characters who are interesting, including Mary the half Indian half Irish housekeeper, James the ranch hand, Uncle Lou to name a few. This was a good read and I want to read more books by Jessica.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love on the Range.