Gabbi's Reviews > Written in the Stars

Written in the Stars by Alix Bekins

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: top2bottom-reviews, friends-to-lovers, dreamspinner-press, alix-bekins
Read from April 04 to June 09, 2012

I think the blurb does an excellent job as describing the story, so I won’t bore you by rehashing it again. Instead, I thought I would give the reasons why I enjoyed this book, and why I rated it the way I did.

I’ve read several of Alix Bekins books and I’ve enjoyed every one of them. When I pick up a book written by this author, I automatically know I’ll have several hours of shameless entertainment with intelligent, witty and sarcastic characters that seem to live and breathe off of the written page. None of Alix’s characters are perfect, and they are so wonderfully flawed, I can’t help but love every minute I have reading about them.

The characters in Written in the Stars are exactly like this. Both heroes, Bailey and John, are likeable men who aren’t physically perfect, but are still sexy because of their self-confidence and the interesting lifestyles that they live. Bailey in particular is a prime example of this. He’s not physically beautiful, but he is extremely sure of his intelligence and of himself in general, which makes him a unique hero within his own right. I liked the way he and his best friend and boss, John, have this easy and fun banter and camaraderie between them, and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the conversations and antics they have between them. It’s obvious from the moment they appear on the page that they have a true friendship, with an attraction between them that either man really wants to admit.

One thing that left me a little confused was the absence of John’s point of view toward the end of the book. I loved seeing both of the main characters’ points of view and I have to admit, I did miss seeing what was going on in his mind toward the end. But even with John’s point of view missing, I absolutely loved Bailey’s snarky and sarcastic personality, so it wasn’t a huge niggle for me.

I love the friends-to-lovers theme and Bailey and John’s story has a slow and steady build up with their relationship evolving from one thing to another. If you like a solid, well thought out romance, this book will definitely please those readers who appreciate how their relationship changes over time, instead of the insta-love theme that happens in many romances. As a fan of both, I personally appreciated watching these two men fall in love through their friendship because by the end of the story, it was easy to believe that these two men truly belong together. I recommend this book for those who love a solid, fun and sexy read with the steady sexual tension and emotional build-up between the two main characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written in the Stars.