Alie's Reviews > The Road of Lost Innocence: The True Story of a Cambodian Heroine

The Road of Lost Innocence by Somaly Mam

U 50x66
Apr 02, 2012

The book was a great eye opener on the subject of the human trafficking and sex slavery. Mam’s experience is horrific and I cannot imagine the pain and abuse she had to endure. To even explain it in a book does not compare. It’s crazy to think that going to Cambodia now, and seeing the capital so lively, you would have never thought of how dirty or dingy it was. Her explanation of how sex slavery and prostitution has changed over the course of time is very interesting. To hear such beliefs like, “raping a virgin will cure you of Aids”, makes your stomach turn. Of course the problem still persists, and I’m sure that human trafficking will not soon die out, but having Mam to help the cause sure puts a dent in it. I’m very proud to read about how humble she still is after all she’s been through and after how much she’s changed. She’s definitely the true definition of how education and hard work can bring about change.

I would definitely recommend this book. It does have a lot of mature content, so making sure you have an open mind to it all is key to understanding the book. Some of the scenes are very graphic and almost heart wrenching to read. Mam’s personal experiences are something that made her who she is today. She doesn’t look for pity, but for the wellness of the thousands of girls she has helped and will keep on helping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road of Lost Innocence.