Li's Reviews > The Mists of Avalon

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

1206941
Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, ebook, abandoned, owned
Read in November, 2011, read count: 1.5

I first read this book when I was a teenager, and I really liked it then. There's still things about it that are good: there are a lot of women in the book, for one thing.

After reading 614 of the 1005 listed pages in my ebook copy, though, I can't find the willpower to finish re-reading the book. It goes through story after story of women structuring their lives around (their particular) men, and Morgaine (and Viviane) spend far too much time moping about not being "beautiful," as they are "small" and "dark" and thus "ugly." Which, admittedly, would probably be on target for attitudes at the time (or, often, now), but paired with the constant description of Lancelet as handsome despite having the same "small" and "dark" qualities, I end up feeling like I may throw something if I see those words again. If you have a higher tolerance for blatant repetition themes than I do, you might still like this book? Or romantic themes, since I'm not a big fan of that either, and it's kind of huge. I think pretty much every character at some point deals with unrequited or forbidden love.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mists of Avalon.

07/05/2011