Jessica Moniz's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Feb 24, 14

bookshelves: own-it
Read on February 24, 2014

A lot of lies, and avoiding talking about important subjects between main characters.
Still very intense and great action, great ending, left me running to grab the next book
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Veronica Roth
“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

Veronica Roth
“Welcome to the Amity compound,' says Johanna. Her eyes fix on my face, and she smiles crookedly. 'Let us take care of you.”

Veronica Roth
“I read somewhere, one, that crying defies scientific explanation. Tears are only meant to lubricate the eyes. There is no real reason for tear glands to overproduce tears at the behest of emotion.
I think we cry to release the animal parts of us without losing our humanity. Because inside of me is a beast that snarls, and growls, and strains toward freedom, toward Tobias, and, above all, towards life. And as hard as I try, I cannot kill it.”

Veronica Roth
“May the peace of God be with you," she says, her voice low, "even in the midst of trouble."
"Why would it?" I say softly, so no one else can hear. "After all I've done..."
"It isn't about you," she says. "It is a gift. You cannot earn it, or it ceases to be a gift.”

Veronica Roth
“Sleep,” he says. “I'll fight the bad dreams off if they come to get you.” “With what?” “My bare hands, obviously.”

Veronica Roth
“Got that gun?” Peter says to Tobias. “No,” says Tobias, “I figured I would shoot the bullets out of my nostrils, so I left it upstairs.”

Veronica Roth
“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.”

Veronica Roth
“Let me get this straight. So you left the Dauntless compound to get ready for war... and took your makeup bag with you?"
"Yep. Figured it would be harder for anyone to shoot me if they saw how devastatingly attractive I was...”

Veronica Roth
“I am better off doing as abnegation taught me: turning away from myself, projecting always outward, and hoping that in whatever is next, I will be better than I am now.”

02/24/2014 marked as: currently-reading