Kat Kennedy's Reviews > The Forever Girl

The Forever Girl by Rebecca  Hamilton

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: we-ll-see-time-will-tell

Reason in comments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Girl.

message 401: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "Mahala wrote: "I am not a blogger but I would be willing to help any way I can. I don't mind having the hordes descend on me but I have the hide of a T-Rex. Not everyone does and I certainly didn't..."

You're still taking heat for that?!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard It's been going on for like 2 years. I get comments pretty much daily. Actually haven't checked the view count lately.

message 403: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "It's been going on for like 2 years. I get comments pretty much daily. Actually haven't checked the view count lately."
Out of curiosity what is that about

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I put up a youtube video about how much I hated Witch & Wizard by James Patterson. It existed in my typical youtube mediocrity for awhile then suddenly it started getting comments every day. The James Patterson fans have made it more popular than I'd ever imagine. It has over 20K views now. I have youtube haters which I find kind of hilarious.

message 405: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer OMG I hated that book too. It was awful! I thought it was a satire. The titles of the people drove me crazy! You are not alone in your hate of that book.

message 406: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "It's been going on for like 2 years. I get comments pretty much daily. Actually haven't checked the view count lately."

That's insane.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Here is my blog with a link to the video if your interested. Sometimes I get mean and engage the trolls mainly on the basis of grammatical errors and video comprehension skills.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Stephanie wrote: "Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "It's been going on for like 2 years. I get comments pretty much daily. Actually haven't checked the view count lately."

That's insane."

That's pretty much my thoughts. It's also completely idiotic. Why would you troll a horrible review to the point where it's one of the most popular reviews of that book on youtube? Troll fail.

message 409: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla Cassi. Thanks for the link =)

Also the term Troll Fail made me laugh.

message 410: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi

message 411: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 07, 2012 05:01AM) (new)

The Holy Terror Something interesting that never crossed my mind that it could exist:

"There are a number of self published books that come out of nowhere but have hundreds of positive reviews attached to them but often times the five star reviews come from two sources: someone who only has one review and someone who has only five star reviews.

It is possible that these authors are buying their way to success using places like Fiverr wherein people with REAL NAME accounts offer up a review for $5.00. Sometimes the purchase of the book is included in the $5.00 offer."

message 412: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Yeah, I know about it but the reviews are usually really basic and see through.

message 413: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror I can't believe people used their real names on that fiverr site. Like author Rayne Hall.

raynehall created 3 weeks ago The 'reviewer' didn't look at the book, not even at the book's description, not even at the title! Two reviews had no content, the third was blatantly wrong for this kind of book. This kind of fake review is harmful rather than helpful. I complained, got the reviews changed, but am far from happy.

That's just ... wow.

message 414: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror hiring created 2 months ago amazonreviewer - this is a diet book!! there is no plot!!! Please DO NOT post these reviews. I need you to write something topic specific - this is NOT what I wanted. again am sending the book and the link. Please look at link before you write.

Seller's feedback: Outstanding! Thanks so very much! Best Fiverr Ever!!! A +++ Aces!!!

Lol, this is hilarious stuff.

message 415: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert The Holy Terror wrote: "I love the people complaining that their fake reviews they bought weren't good enough."

This is just insanely funny to me for some reason.

message 416: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 07, 2012 05:19AM) (new)

The Holy Terror And now I kind of want to read a Courtney Milan book, and I don't even like HR. I feel like I need a this author is not delusional shelf now too.

And Jane's comment after Courtney's is on-topic for this thread ...

message 417: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert The Holy Terror wrote: "And now I kind of want to read a Courtney Milan book, and I don't even like HR. I feel like I need a this author is not delusional shelf now too."

lol, that's some shelf. I've actually set one of her books on my to read shelf. If I come across it somewhere I'll pick it up. Haven't had much (read: any) experience with HR, actually.

message 418: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Ha, I totally added her book and made that shelf. Why should I only call out authors when they act like d-bags? True, it's harder to see the ones who aren't delusional, but they're out there. Like Stacia Kane.

message 419: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 07, 2012 05:45AM) (new)

The Holy Terror Lol, and now I just realized after reading most of the comments on that DA post that someone linked to this review there. Authors Behaving Badly ... Inception?

message 420: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Yes! Stacia Kane!!!! Terrible and Chessiebomb!

Has anyone set up a support group for those people who are being harassed by authors. Ex. That poor 14yearold. ?

message 421: by rameau (new)

rameau The Holy Terror wrote: "Something interesting that never crossed my mind that it could exist:

Isn't this lovely. As if I needed more reasons to stick to friend recommendations.

Also, I have most Courtney Milan books. Apart from being a terrific human being, she's a genre saver for me. Just pm me if you want to try her books.

message 422: by AH (new) - added it

AH I sat and read through the Dear Author blog comments. I've come to the conclusion that I can't trust 5 stars from Amazon. Even on GR, I look at a range of reviews before I purchase a book.

I still find it hard to believe that we as reviewers on GR and personal blogs have the "power" to sink or sell a book.

Sometimes an author's attitude will sell a book for me. I can think of several examples of authors who do this well - Susan Ee, Stacia Kane, Ilona Andrews - These ladies are an auto-buy for me.

When an author behaves "badly" it leaves a sour feeling - I really don't care how wonderful the book is, I will not read or review it.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I really only look at reviews from goodfriend & blogging friends. I don't trust the wilds of the internet AT ALL.

message 424: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose The article on Dear Author is one of the reasons why I don't trust Amazon reviews alone when I'm looking for books to read. I usually go by the book communities I'm a part of, word of mouth, and how the book appeals to me personally. I'll even go outside of those considerations and read a book that challenges me on more than one level, even those that might be central in controversy - but that controversy's usually regarding the book, not anything to do the author (unless it's their writing style or technique or something they write about).

I thought about writing my book reviews on Amazon (I do write music reviews there, but they've been under my personal account, not under my blog name/writing moniker), but I've been weary of it for the voting system there. I knew about people manipulating the system there for votes, but I didn't know anything about the Fivers campaign. It explains a lot of the vague reviews I've seen under some newly released books.

I don't think a bad review alone will sink a book, but I do think the attitudes and controversies shown by some of the authors of late are a definite turn-off, especially if it's repeated behavior with no intention of admittance or remorse. I'm surprised that in the last several months it's blown up the way it has, and I know if it continues in this way, it will get worse. The unnecessary hate that GR's community gets for this, as well as the targeting of reviews and the reviewers, especially young reviewers, alike drives me up the wall.

message 425: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Rose wrote: "The article on Dear Author is one of the reasons why I don't trust Amazon reviews alone when I'm looking for books to read. I usually go by the book communities I'm a part of, word of mouth, and h..."

message 426: by Rose (last edited Apr 07, 2012 09:44AM) (new) - added it

Rose John wrote: "I don't trust amazon at all anymore. And it's getting harder and harder to trust GR."

I know where you're coming from on that.

For me, I'll always have strong ties to the communities I'm a part of (whether it's GR, Amazon, etc.) if the people I get to know there are those whose opinions and interactions I can appreciate, and I still have those ties binding me to here as well as other online communities and social networks. Those few make it worth being a part of that community, even among others who might try to manipulate or spoil the experience.

message 427: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Rose wrote: "John wrote: "I don't trust amazon at all anymore. And it's getting harder and harder to trust GR."

I know where you're coming from on that.

For me, I'll always have strong ties to the communities..."

That's exactly the reason I'm still on GR. The silver lining, so to speak.

message 428: by Howdy YAL (last edited Apr 07, 2012 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Howdy YAL I have bought a lot of stinkers because of Amazon reviews. I don't trust the site at all. I find that if there is a foul book on there you'll often have a very polarizing rating. Tons of five stars trying to counter the numerous one and two stars it gets. I almost feel like there needs to be a test to see if you actually know what the book is about--nothing too discriminating, but something to show that you actually understand what the book is about what genre it is etc. Rather than just rating it to bump up its average rating.

message 429: by Nathyn (last edited Apr 07, 2012 10:31AM) (new)

Nathyn Masters Rebecca wrote: And as I said, in context, I don't think the person meant it offensively (just as nothing I have said in context is meant offensively). I don't understand why I am continually taken out of context while others are not, but so it is and I accept that."

Happens a lot when you argue with readers, whether you're right or wrong. I've learned that you just don't do it. It's makes you look bad and it only makes them come after you harder. The whole "out of context thing" is a trick, to get you that much more riled up. You argue that much harder and look much worse and the drama goes on. Fun for some, but bad for the author. The key is to stop arguing and write what you write. Let people think what they think and move on. I know it's hard sometimes. I've been lied about, taken out of context, misconstrued and the whole bit, but as a writer you learn to take constructive criticism, (if it's good), accept that everyone won't like your stuff (and sometimes won't like you) and also to ignore hateful comments. Arguing with readers never works, especially on public forums and especially when you have a huge fan base.

message 430: by Megan (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan Cyna wrote: "And my sympathy vanishes with the rape analogy. Dear Rebecca: this, this conversation, this thread, this WHOLE debacle surrounding you? This is NOT rape. This is NOTHING like rape, absolutely NOTHI..."

This times 10000000.

message 431: by rameau (new)

rameau Paige wrote: "I don't really rely on Amazon for reviews either. I occasionally find a great negative review for a book that keeps me from buying something I know I would hate, but for the most part, Goodreads is where I go to check a book's reviews.

(That doesn't stop me from posting my reviews on Amazon, though. I wanted more exposure for my blog and got that and more than a few ARCs along the way.) "

This!

message 432: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 07, 2012 05:23PM) (new)

The Holy Terror Did anyone screencap Vanity's comment about us being predatory reviewers?

message 433: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy No, I don't bother with her anymore.

message 434: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Kat wrote: "No, I don't bother with her anymore."

Ah, but this time it's useful evidence to get the sock puppets booted.

message 435: by Katie(babs) (last edited Apr 07, 2012 05:44PM) (new) - added it

Katie(babs) How can a reviewer be predatory? Is Chris Hansen from NBC going to pop up and tell us to sit in some kitchen?

message 436: by Nathyn (new)

Nathyn Masters Katie(babs) wrote: "How can a reviewer be predatory? Is Chris Hansen from NBC going to pop up and tell is to sit in some kitchen?"

LOL.

message 437: by Lily (new)

Lily Is this regular behavior on Goodreads, or is this a wave, because I just read another thread over how someone (or multiple) people (puppets) took offense over how a user shelved a book.... I joined Goodreads this year, and didn't really read so much of this type of craziness until this past week... And by that I mean, this 'take no prisoners' attitude on attacking people's opinions. I understand someone disagreeing, and being respectful while doing it, or an author asking for more information as to why someone didn't like their book (tho I think that is better served by PM), but I have seen some really unnecessary comments made on people's pages that kind of have me scratching my head? Why??? If you are an author, shouldn't you be spending your time writing another book and collect some more $$ to pay your bills? It just seems strange that there is so much time spent arguing with reviewers. It doesn't make any sense to me, personally.
I am just curious. Is this something that happens regularly on here?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard It's unfortunately been much more common in 2012 for some season. At least it feels that way.

message 439: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi I'm offended when people shelve Twilight as "greatest-book-everrr"... I demand a refund for the four books I illegally downloaded, god dammit!

message 440: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Awesome, JennyJen. You rock.

message 441: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "It's unfortunately been much more common in 2012 for some season. At least it feels that way."

It all seems to stem from "Be Nice," which was posted last year, but I agree, it's definitely blown up so much more this year.

message 442: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla @JennyJen. Thanks for posting that. Please tell me you have it saved somewhere just in case it gets deleted?

The top reviewers on GR are the top reviewers because people voted them up there. I have never once seen one the top reviewers actually say that or use it in an arguement so I'm not sure waht Vanity is trying to accomplish with that comment.

message 443: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Well, I said it was stupid to attack the top reviewers, which is why she decided to comment on it, because she monitors everything I say with her fake accounts. I say we're top reviewers because we're on the list of top reviewers. It's not me being arrogant, it's a fact.

(Well, when the script is running correctly, because it appears to be broken right now.)

message 444: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla @THT. Okay I was wondering why she brought that up. Thanks for clarifying and you're right you aren't being arrogant, you guys are some of the top ranked reviewers on GR.

@Paige. Good point =)

message 445: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla JennyJen wrote: "Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "@JennyJen. Thanks for posting that. Please tell me you have it saved somewhere just in case it gets deleted?

The top reviewers on GR are the top re..."

message 446: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla JennyJen wrote: "Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "I thought you became a top predator by killing a smaller predator or by killing a xenomorph? XD ..."

You are wise, grasshoppa."

Why thank you =)

message 447: by Jean (new)

Jean Late to the party, but

message 448: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter Frakkin brilliant! Bunny!

message 449: by GoAskPerl (new)

GoAskPerl Ouchhh! This thread is painful just to read. If I could hide a fifth of the 500+ comments (or even the entire thread) I would! There is a difference between stating an opinion and attacking a person -- whether it be the author, reviewer or a random commenter. Just because it is the internet and you are protected from seeing the hurt your comments cause, does not mean it isn't cruel.

message 450: by [deleted user] (new)

Perl wrote: "Ouchhh! This thread is painful just to read. If I could hide a fifth of the 500+ comments (or even the entire thread) I would! There is a difference between stating an opinion and attacking a perso..."

You can easily hide this thread by just not reading the comments. Everyone knows that hurt is caused by comments, but no one is going to stand by while your right to read or not read a book is challenged.