Kat Kennedy's Reviews > The Forever Girl

The Forever Girl by Rebecca  Hamilton

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: we-ll-see-time-will-tell

Reason in comments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Girl.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard If you want to finish it then I would finish it. That's never happened to me but it sounds like the author is hoping to stop a negative review before it's written.

Once the author hands the book over to you it's out of their hands. I'd probably continue and review it myself.

message 352: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Apr 06, 2012 04:48AM) (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy She has sent you a book to review. You have the right to finish it and give your honest impressions of the book as you see fit.

Thank her for sending you the book, but that you would like to finish and will decide whether to review afterwards, and will do so as you see fit.

When I am approached by authors to review their work, I always provide a disclaimed and warning. Right off the bat I say that I will review honestly and that they need to be confident that they either wrote a book I'll like, or will be able to deal with my criticism should I not like it.

That helps, to be honest, Laura.

*The spelling errors! They've everywhere for me today!

message 353: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi Perhaps you should use the book as a doorstop and give it a raving review.

"It's a wonderful doorstop, full of ambition and imagination as it holds my kitchen door against the wall. I highly recommend this doorstop. I'd give it 5 stars, but as it's not heavy enough to hold open my front door, I feel it fell just short of the 5 star mark and I therefore bestow this doorstop with 4 stars."

The author can't complain because you gave it a good review.

message 354: by Helen (last edited Apr 06, 2012 10:14AM) (new) - added it

Helen Lyndi wrote: "Perhaps you should use the book as a doorstop and give it a raving review.

Oh yes she can complain. She didn't get 5 stars.

All authors MUST get five stars or their feelings will be hurt and they won't be able to rite moar. How dare u say that 4 stars is enough, you big meanie!

message 355: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi But that's a pretty good review for a doorstop...

message 356: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen Lyndi wrote: "But that's a pretty good review for a doorstop..."

No! U must respect anyone who published a book! If u can't give 5 stars, don't review! U now teh saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything!" Same ehre!

And if U don't respect and give 5 stars, the authors will stalk youhear about your nasty conduct from sockpuppetsfaithful fans which they have no control over whatsoever. And then you'll never get published yourself cause they can make it so!

message 357: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer I had an author tell me how horrible my review was etc. Crap went down, shit hit the fan. She deleted her comments which pissed me off but I had screen shot it all and said I would post that. So she turned around and wrote an apology about.... How she let my review hurt her feels. Lame I tell you. What they don't seem to get is that they need to just let it go. Otherwise they are the ones who draw attention to it. Actually that is how I met Kara!!!! Lol she was very supportive. :0)

message 358: by Helen (last edited Apr 06, 2012 11:02AM) (new) - added it

Helen "Mommaseymor wrote:So she turned around and wrote an apology about.... How she let my review hurt her feels."

message 359: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Lol so true.

message 360: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Just a small update, M posted on Vanity's blog now. I'm not linking to it, but if someone really wants to know who I'm talking about, just PM me.

Here's what M says about all of us:

Per Rebecca: “They are a poor reflection on the reviewing community and have devalued the book review system to the point I’ve given up on using book reviews (unless I personally know the reviewer) to decide which books I want to read. If they keep it up, they are going to take themselves from being important in the publishing world to being considered unreliable and irrelevant.”

I don’t believe any of the participants in these episodes of harrassment and bullying care one whit about the reviewing community’s important. They care about being able to perceive themselves as important. If they genuinely respected the Goodreads community, they would review books and do their part to maintain a professional environment where everyone is welcome to a say.

Instead, they do everything they can to contribute to a toxic, hostile environment. No one who really cares about books is glad to read these people because discerning readers see right through them. They understand why these people are present, and it isn’t to discuss reading experiences.

Yeah, everyone sees right through the top reviewers. Nobody who cares about books cares about our opinions.

::extreme eyeroll::

message 361: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert How dare she say that we're preventing a GR where everyone can have a say?! They're the ones -- but -- I just -- ASDFGHJKL; *explodes out of confusion+rage*

message 362: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen "If they genuinely respected the Goodreads community, they would review books and do their part to maintain a professional environment where everyone is welcome to a say."
Professional environment? We are professional? Where is my paycheck, dammit?

Also, as a former victim of bullying I really resent these comparisons. Difference of impact and level of damage aside, bullying isn't something you can easily get away from. All they have to do is hit the back button and/or remove their account from Goodreads. Which was formed for readers' discussion, not authors pimping their books? (Er, right?)

message 363: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Helen wrote: "Difference of impact and level of damage aside, bullying isn't something you can easily get away from."

I think that's EXACTLY the thing that these people don't understand. I've been called a bully by numerous drama llamas, and the thing is, they only get called out on their shit when they come onto OUR spaces and act like assholes. I've never shown up on someone's review, blog, profile, facebook page, twitter account, or whatever and went off on them or "bullied" them. How exactly does one bully someone else when THEY'RE the ones who come onto OUR personal space and stir up shit?

message 364: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer description

message 365: by Ridley (new)

Ridley The Holy Terror wrote: "Kat wrote: "I sincerely apologize to everyone for not having blocked M earlier."

I'm surprised you hadn't already. I think even Wendy blocked her, and we all know Wendy is much more patient than ..."

I haven't blocked M. I keep hoping she trolls me again.

I'll be ready this time.

message 366: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi Instead, they do everything they can to contribute to a toxic, hostile environment.

I don't understand... How is writing a review on a website made for book reviews "contributing to a toxic, hostile environment"...? The authors read the reviews and then comment. Since fights aren't started over positive reviews, the author knowingly commented on a negative review. THEY come to US. We don't go to their personal websites and say "Hey I didn't like your book, come argue with me about it!" That "toxic, hostile environment" is created by the AUTHORS.

Do any of us actually want to sit here and argue with a stranger over this shit? I think not. It's amusing, sure - especially in RH's situation because the fantastical excuses and accusations just can't be taken seriously. So yeah, slightly amusing. Being called out and attacked for defending our right to speak openly about the books we've read? Not amusing at all.

I believe most of the people I've seen commenting on this review have a lot of respect for GR. If we didn't, we wouldn't be so offended when authors create fake GR accounts and 5-star various books to "counteract" the STARLESS reviews others have left.

/end rant

For those of you who love GR, who make this place seriously entertaining, and who stand up for our right to party review honestly:

message 367: by Katie(babs) (new) - added it

Katie(babs) The internet is such a big place. I can bet you there are more readers out there who have no idea what GRs or care to be here.

Reviews don't hurt sales, even the most mean, snark ones. Word of mouth and talking to friends about books has more power. How do you think 50 Shades blew up? not by the reviews but by one person telling another and the good old domino effect.

An author freaking out about a bad review is going to have a big heart ache because in the long run, the review isn't remembered, but the way the author lases out on the internet (which is forever) does.

message 368: by [deleted user] (new)

The Holy Terror wrote: "Just a small update, M posted on Vanity's blog now. I'm not linking to it, but if someone really wants to know who I'm talking about, just PM me.

Here's what M says about all of us:

Per Rebecca: ..."

How did she have the time to write that when she is reading so many books?

message 369: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer lol

message 370: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi JennyJen wrote: "Lyn wrote: "How did she have the time to write that when she is reading so many books? "

She must have dictated it to her mother. Jus sayin."

*dies laughing* I think you just made my day. Thanks

message 371: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 06, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

The Holy Terror JennyJen wrote: "She must have dictated it to her mother. Jus sayin."

::snort::

message 372: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Lyndi wrote: "I don't understand..."

None of us do. And the people who think that way will never understand our POV either. So both sides will seem forever crazy to the other. The only difference is WE don't bother THEM.

message 373: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Ridley wrote: "I haven't blocked M. I keep hoping she trolls me again.

I'll be ready this time."

If you don't block her though she can snoop on your and your friend's conversations. I would remove her if she was following me. She can still troll you, but at least she can't snoop.

message 374: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have a lot to say today because my stomach is feeling wonky, but I just wanted to say I am still here and in support of you guys. This bitch has me in a rage and I'm kind of speechless. Whatever you decided to do you have my full support.

I cannot imagine where they are coming from. There is simply no logic in their brains. It's all delusions. Why would you want someone not to give their honest viewpoint? Why would you want them to lie in their reviews? They have no integrity at all whatsoever. I wish someone would take away their fingers so they could not type and their voice boxes so they could not speak.

message 375: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer JennyJen wrote: "Now the author of the blog M posted on is saying that a more fitting name for Top Reviewers would be Predatory Reviewers. Yup. Predatory. Reviewers. Also, that what top reviewers write are not real..."

Does that make them Aliens if we are Predators?

message 376: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror JennyJen wrote: "Now the author of the blog M posted on is saying that a more fitting name for Top Reviewers would be Predatory Reviewers."

Yes, because we went to her reviews and told her that her opinion was wrong then got all of our friends together to be awful to her on her review space. And then we called her a motherfucking ugly fat cunt.

Oh wait. That was what she and her "friends" did to me and the other "predators." For months. Honestly, if anyone was bullied, it was me and Lucy and a handful of others, but I would never say that because she could never fucking bully me or my friends. I don't play the victim card, and I won't put up with their shit.

She's not on this site anymore since she was KICKED OFF. If we're so awful, why does GR agree that she and her "friends" are better off not on this site?

And I see she's got a new book in the works, she just HAS to stir up shit so people will know she exists. I really wish she'd move on and spend her time writing or doing something more productive. Contrary to what she thinks, none of us sit around thinking about ways to bring her down or ruin her career. I completely forget about her until something like this comes up. Like my review says, I wish I never knew she existed. I wish she had never started any of the shit she started.

Seriously, I know she's monitoring this discussion because she brought up the top reviewers thing I said, and that's just really, really sad. What happened to "spread love, not hate?" Do something else with your time, Vanity. Seriously. Go write a book, go read a book, go review a book, go do SOMETHING ELSE besides creating drama that doesn't need to exist.

All she's doing is spreading more negativity around like she always does. I swear, she really can't go without creating drama. It's just so tiresome.

message 377: by [deleted user] (new)

Jesus. Where is the logic? How can they think that is okay?

message 378: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Why does she keep coming back? Just because we actually have the balls to type what we think and feel doesn't mean that others out there aren't thinking it or talking about it. But since she can't read minds she has to pick on people who are honest. That is just sad.

message 379: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Mommaseymour wrote: "Why does she keep coming back?"

I have no idea. It's self-destructive and unproductive and completely negative and not what this site is for. And the sock puppet accounts and fake reviews are such a waste of time since GR constantly deletes them.

message 380: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer What an aweful job. BTW you get to go and delete fake reviews and accounts. Spam is no one's friend!

message 381: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer descriptiondescription

They are watching....

message 382: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I know it's hard guys, but try not to worry about them.

Vanity author is not allowed to return to goodreads. She was caught out making several sock puppet accounts to antagonize and bully goodreaders and try and sell her book.

M is considered a pest, mostly harmless because nobody takes her seriously.

My problem is that they're enabling each other and justifying an attack on readers. I think we need to focus on ways we can help protect reviewers from attack.

Buzz Worthy News, a segment on my blog, is what I use to call attention to bad author behaviour. But if a reviewer is getting bullied, it's not likely to provide immediate help. Let's remember that this is a YA community. That reviewer COULD be as young as thirteen. They need support and we need to work out a system to help them.

Because I think we're going to see a lot more of these attacks.

message 383: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh ...

Okay, what did I miss?

message 384: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Ceilidh wrote: "...

Okay, what did I miss?"

Super happy fun times.

message 385: by Steph (last edited Apr 06, 2012 06:16PM) (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I agree, Kat. I keep thinking about the younger kids who review books on their blogs. Rachel over at Parajunkee gets emails all the time from new reviewers who are antagonized for their honest opinions. And we're not talking about a scathing review, like one I may write. We're talking about simple "I didn't like it for XYZ..." That bothers me.

So, obviously I will continue to support Buzz Worthy News with alerting the community. How can people help? Tip us off. Speak up and say something. Because if there is one thing we do it's protect our own, especially our new members. Authors see this and call it bullying. I call it not tolerating unprofessionalism.

message 386: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, you know I will continue to speak up and sleuth and report any bad author behavior I find to you guys. It makes me so mad sometimes that I go looking for it. I will not tolerate reviewers or bloggers getting harassed. I think the only way to stop it (or at least to lessen it) is by fighting back.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard If there's ever a young blogger, particularly a teenager, who is bullied I will do anything I can to help them. I work with teenage girls for my job and am always impressed by how brilliant, talented and creative they are. If anyone is trying to squash that I will do anything I can to stop it. (That makes me feel like a mama lion or something).

But seriously. I follow these things because freedom of speech issues and ethical reviewing are things I get passionate about. If there's any way I can help I will.

message 388: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair What I would really hope this accomplishes is getting the issue noticed by publishers. It's one thing for a self-pub author to lose their shit, but one under a bigger pub house should have PR training. This is just not the way you engage with customers.

message 389: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy BWN is great for updating but it doesn't provide immediate relief. If someone is getting harassed Monday night, we won't report it until the next Monday morning.

That's a whole week of isolation and attack. I am also constantly getting mail from people these days saying they've been attacked and no longer have the confidence to review because they were all alone. One of them was 14 when an adult author and their friends descended.

And the other problem is ensuring it doesn't turn into a war but a consistent voice of solidarity for the reviewer.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I'm willing to chat via twitter or email with any blogger who feels like they're being attacked. If you wanted to create any kind of listing of bloggers who are willing to listen/help I'm game. Maybe we could have people's twitter names so they can reach out quickly for help.

message 391: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so in for something like that. If you decide to do it, count me in.

message 392: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy That's a good idea Cassi.

message 393: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I'm thinking a Ghandi style resistance - sans the fasts and sleeping naked with women - is going to be the most effective, consciencous way to go.

message 394: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I think that is a great idea, Cassi.

message 395: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat wrote: "BWN is great for updating but it doesn't provide immediate relief. If someone is getting harassed Monday night, we won't report it until the next Monday morning.

That's a whole week of isolation ..."

Yet we're the bullies. A child....they're attacking children.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Stephanie wrote: "I think that is a great idea, Cassi."

You guys make me happy.

message 397: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "I'm willing to chat via twitter or email with any blogger who feels like they're being attacked. If you wanted to create any kind of listing of bloggers who are willing to listen/help I'm game. M..."

I have a FB if they need it.

message 398: by Mahala (new)

Mahala I am not a blogger but I would be willing to help any way I can. I don't mind having the hordes descend on me but I have the hide of a T-Rex. Not everyone does and I certainly didn't when I was (a lot) younger.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Mahala wrote: "I am not a blogger but I would be willing to help any way I can. I don't mind having the hordes descend on me but I have the hide of a T-Rex. Not everyone does and I certainly didn't when I was (a ..."

I have pretty thick skin too. Thanks to James Patterson fanboys on youtube. (20K views of hate and counting).

message 400: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer JennyJen wrote: "Mommaseymour wrote: "JennyJen wrote: "Now the author of the blog M posted on is saying that a more fitting name for Top Reviewers would be Predatory Reviewers. Yup. Predatory. Reviewers. Also, that..."

I am thinking maybe the Aliens Vs. Predator movie was not funny or people just didn't get it. *hangs head in shame*