Kat Kennedy's Reviews > The Forever Girl

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: we-ll-see-time-will-tell

Reason in comments.
59 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Girl.

message 351: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert How dare she say that we're preventing a GR where everyone can have a say?! They're the ones -- but -- I just -- ASDFGHJKL; *explodes out of confusion+rage*

message 352: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen "If they genuinely respected the Goodreads community, they would review books and do their part to maintain a professional environment where everyone is welcome to a say."
Professional environment? We are professional? Where is my paycheck, dammit?

Also, as a former victim of bullying I really resent these comparisons. Difference of impact and level of damage aside, bullying isn't something you can easily get away from. All they have to do is hit the back button and/or remove their account from Goodreads. Which was formed for readers' discussion, not authors pimping their books? (Er, right?)

message 353: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Helen wrote: "Difference of impact and level of damage aside, bullying isn't something you can easily get away from."

I think that's EXACTLY the thing that these people don't understand. I've been called a bully by numerous drama llamas, and the thing is, they only get called out on their shit when they come onto OUR spaces and act like assholes. I've never shown up on someone's review, blog, profile, facebook page, twitter account, or whatever and went off on them or "bullied" them. How exactly does one bully someone else when THEY'RE the ones who come onto OUR personal space and stir up shit?

message 354: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer description

message 355: by Ridley (new)

Ridley The Holy Terror wrote: "Kat wrote: "I sincerely apologize to everyone for not having blocked M earlier."

I'm surprised you hadn't already. I think even Wendy blocked her, and we all know Wendy is much more patient than ..."

I haven't blocked M. I keep hoping she trolls me again.

I'll be ready this time.

message 356: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi Instead, they do everything they can to contribute to a toxic, hostile environment.

I don't understand... How is writing a review on a website made for book reviews "contributing to a toxic, hostile environment"...? The authors read the reviews and then comment. Since fights aren't started over positive reviews, the author knowingly commented on a negative review. THEY come to US. We don't go to their personal websites and say "Hey I didn't like your book, come argue with me about it!" That "toxic, hostile environment" is created by the AUTHORS.

Do any of us actually want to sit here and argue with a stranger over this shit? I think not. It's amusing, sure - especially in RH's situation because the fantastical excuses and accusations just can't be taken seriously. So yeah, slightly amusing. Being called out and attacked for defending our right to speak openly about the books we've read? Not amusing at all.

I believe most of the people I've seen commenting on this review have a lot of respect for GR. If we didn't, we wouldn't be so offended when authors create fake GR accounts and 5-star various books to "counteract" the STARLESS reviews others have left.

/end rant

For those of you who love GR, who make this place seriously entertaining, and who stand up for our right to party review honestly:

message 357: by Katie(babs) (new) - added it

Katie(babs) The internet is such a big place. I can bet you there are more readers out there who have no idea what GRs or care to be here.

Reviews don't hurt sales, even the most mean, snark ones. Word of mouth and talking to friends about books has more power. How do you think 50 Shades blew up? not by the reviews but by one person telling another and the good old domino effect.

An author freaking out about a bad review is going to have a big heart ache because in the long run, the review isn't remembered, but the way the author lases out on the internet (which is forever) does.

message 358: by [deleted user] (new)

The Holy Terror wrote: "Just a small update, M posted on Vanity's blog now. I'm not linking to it, but if someone really wants to know who I'm talking about, just PM me.

Here's what M says about all of us:

Per Rebecca: ..."

How did she have the time to write that when she is reading so many books?

message 359: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer lol

message 360: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi JennyJen wrote: "Lyn wrote: "How did she have the time to write that when she is reading so many books? "

She must have dictated it to her mother. Jus sayin."

*dies laughing* I think you just made my day. Thanks

message 361: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 06, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

The Holy Terror JennyJen wrote: "She must have dictated it to her mother. Jus sayin."

::snort::

message 362: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Lyndi wrote: "I don't understand..."

None of us do. And the people who think that way will never understand our POV either. So both sides will seem forever crazy to the other. The only difference is WE don't bother THEM.

message 363: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Ridley wrote: "I haven't blocked M. I keep hoping she trolls me again.

I'll be ready this time."

If you don't block her though she can snoop on your and your friend's conversations. I would remove her if she was following me. She can still troll you, but at least she can't snoop.

message 364: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have a lot to say today because my stomach is feeling wonky, but I just wanted to say I am still here and in support of you guys. This bitch has me in a rage and I'm kind of speechless. Whatever you decided to do you have my full support.

I cannot imagine where they are coming from. There is simply no logic in their brains. It's all delusions. Why would you want someone not to give their honest viewpoint? Why would you want them to lie in their reviews? They have no integrity at all whatsoever. I wish someone would take away their fingers so they could not type and their voice boxes so they could not speak.

message 365: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer JennyJen wrote: "Now the author of the blog M posted on is saying that a more fitting name for Top Reviewers would be Predatory Reviewers. Yup. Predatory. Reviewers. Also, that what top reviewers write are not real..."

Does that make them Aliens if we are Predators?

message 366: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror JennyJen wrote: "Now the author of the blog M posted on is saying that a more fitting name for Top Reviewers would be Predatory Reviewers."

Yes, because we went to her reviews and told her that her opinion was wrong then got all of our friends together to be awful to her on her review space. And then we called her a motherfucking ugly fat cunt.

Oh wait. That was what she and her "friends" did to me and the other "predators." For months. Honestly, if anyone was bullied, it was me and Lucy and a handful of others, but I would never say that because she could never fucking bully me or my friends. I don't play the victim card, and I won't put up with their shit.

She's not on this site anymore since she was KICKED OFF. If we're so awful, why does GR agree that she and her "friends" are better off not on this site?

And I see she's got a new book in the works, she just HAS to stir up shit so people will know she exists. I really wish she'd move on and spend her time writing or doing something more productive. Contrary to what she thinks, none of us sit around thinking about ways to bring her down or ruin her career. I completely forget about her until something like this comes up. Like my review says, I wish I never knew she existed. I wish she had never started any of the shit she started.

Seriously, I know she's monitoring this discussion because she brought up the top reviewers thing I said, and that's just really, really sad. What happened to "spread love, not hate?" Do something else with your time, Vanity. Seriously. Go write a book, go read a book, go review a book, go do SOMETHING ELSE besides creating drama that doesn't need to exist.

All she's doing is spreading more negativity around like she always does. I swear, she really can't go without creating drama. It's just so tiresome.

message 367: by [deleted user] (new)

Jesus. Where is the logic? How can they think that is okay?

message 368: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Why does she keep coming back? Just because we actually have the balls to type what we think and feel doesn't mean that others out there aren't thinking it or talking about it. But since she can't read minds she has to pick on people who are honest. That is just sad.

message 369: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Mommaseymour wrote: "Why does she keep coming back?"

I have no idea. It's self-destructive and unproductive and completely negative and not what this site is for. And the sock puppet accounts and fake reviews are such a waste of time since GR constantly deletes them.

message 370: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer What an aweful job. BTW you get to go and delete fake reviews and accounts. Spam is no one's friend!

message 371: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer descriptiondescription

They are watching....

message 372: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I know it's hard guys, but try not to worry about them.

Vanity author is not allowed to return to goodreads. She was caught out making several sock puppet accounts to antagonize and bully goodreaders and try and sell her book.

M is considered a pest, mostly harmless because nobody takes her seriously.

My problem is that they're enabling each other and justifying an attack on readers. I think we need to focus on ways we can help protect reviewers from attack.

Buzz Worthy News, a segment on my blog, is what I use to call attention to bad author behaviour. But if a reviewer is getting bullied, it's not likely to provide immediate help. Let's remember that this is a YA community. That reviewer COULD be as young as thirteen. They need support and we need to work out a system to help them.

Because I think we're going to see a lot more of these attacks.

message 373: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh ...

Okay, what did I miss?

message 374: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror Ceilidh wrote: "...

Okay, what did I miss?"

Super happy fun times.

message 375: by Steph (last edited Apr 06, 2012 06:16PM) (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I agree, Kat. I keep thinking about the younger kids who review books on their blogs. Rachel over at Parajunkee gets emails all the time from new reviewers who are antagonized for their honest opinions. And we're not talking about a scathing review, like one I may write. We're talking about simple "I didn't like it for XYZ..." That bothers me.

So, obviously I will continue to support Buzz Worthy News with alerting the community. How can people help? Tip us off. Speak up and say something. Because if there is one thing we do it's protect our own, especially our new members. Authors see this and call it bullying. I call it not tolerating unprofessionalism.

message 376: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, you know I will continue to speak up and sleuth and report any bad author behavior I find to you guys. It makes me so mad sometimes that I go looking for it. I will not tolerate reviewers or bloggers getting harassed. I think the only way to stop it (or at least to lessen it) is by fighting back.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard If there's ever a young blogger, particularly a teenager, who is bullied I will do anything I can to help them. I work with teenage girls for my job and am always impressed by how brilliant, talented and creative they are. If anyone is trying to squash that I will do anything I can to stop it. (That makes me feel like a mama lion or something).

But seriously. I follow these things because freedom of speech issues and ethical reviewing are things I get passionate about. If there's any way I can help I will.

message 378: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair What I would really hope this accomplishes is getting the issue noticed by publishers. It's one thing for a self-pub author to lose their shit, but one under a bigger pub house should have PR training. This is just not the way you engage with customers.

message 379: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy BWN is great for updating but it doesn't provide immediate relief. If someone is getting harassed Monday night, we won't report it until the next Monday morning.

That's a whole week of isolation and attack. I am also constantly getting mail from people these days saying they've been attacked and no longer have the confidence to review because they were all alone. One of them was 14 when an adult author and their friends descended.

And the other problem is ensuring it doesn't turn into a war but a consistent voice of solidarity for the reviewer.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I'm willing to chat via twitter or email with any blogger who feels like they're being attacked. If you wanted to create any kind of listing of bloggers who are willing to listen/help I'm game. Maybe we could have people's twitter names so they can reach out quickly for help.

message 381: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so in for something like that. If you decide to do it, count me in.

message 382: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy That's a good idea Cassi.

message 383: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I'm thinking a Ghandi style resistance - sans the fasts and sleeping naked with women - is going to be the most effective, consciencous way to go.

message 384: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I think that is a great idea, Cassi.

message 385: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat wrote: "BWN is great for updating but it doesn't provide immediate relief. If someone is getting harassed Monday night, we won't report it until the next Monday morning.

That's a whole week of isolation ..."

Yet we're the bullies. A child....they're attacking children.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Stephanie wrote: "I think that is a great idea, Cassi."

You guys make me happy.

message 387: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "I'm willing to chat via twitter or email with any blogger who feels like they're being attacked. If you wanted to create any kind of listing of bloggers who are willing to listen/help I'm game. M..."

I have a FB if they need it.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Mahala wrote: "I am not a blogger but I would be willing to help any way I can. I don't mind having the hordes descend on me but I have the hide of a T-Rex. Not everyone does and I certainly didn't when I was (a ..."

I have pretty thick skin too. Thanks to James Patterson fanboys on youtube. (20K views of hate and counting).

message 389: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer JennyJen wrote: "Mommaseymour wrote: "JennyJen wrote: "Now the author of the blog M posted on is saying that a more fitting name for Top Reviewers would be Predatory Reviewers. Yup. Predatory. Reviewers. Also, that..."

I am thinking maybe the Aliens Vs. Predator movie was not funny or people just didn't get it. *hangs head in shame*

message 390: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "Mahala wrote: "I am not a blogger but I would be willing to help any way I can. I don't mind having the hordes descend on me but I have the hide of a T-Rex. Not everyone does and I certainly didn't..."

You're still taking heat for that?!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard It's been going on for like 2 years. I get comments pretty much daily. Actually haven't checked the view count lately.

Skittles (Skyla) Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "It's been going on for like 2 years. I get comments pretty much daily. Actually haven't checked the view count lately."
Out of curiosity what is that about

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I put up a youtube video about how much I hated Witch & Wizard by James Patterson. It existed in my typical youtube mediocrity for awhile then suddenly it started getting comments every day. The James Patterson fans have made it more popular than I'd ever imagine. It has over 20K views now. I have youtube haters which I find kind of hilarious.

message 394: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer OMG I hated that book too. It was awful! I thought it was a satire. The titles of the people drove me crazy! You are not alone in your hate of that book.

message 395: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "It's been going on for like 2 years. I get comments pretty much daily. Actually haven't checked the view count lately."

That's insane.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Here is my blog with a link to the video if your interested. Sometimes I get mean and engage the trolls mainly on the basis of grammatical errors and video comprehension skills.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Stephanie wrote: "Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "It's been going on for like 2 years. I get comments pretty much daily. Actually haven't checked the view count lately."

That's insane."

That's pretty much my thoughts. It's also completely idiotic. Why would you troll a horrible review to the point where it's one of the most popular reviews of that book on youtube? Troll fail.

Skittles (Skyla) Cassi. Thanks for the link =)

Also the term Troll Fail made me laugh.

message 399: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi

message 400: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 07, 2012 05:01AM) (new)

The Holy Terror Something interesting that never crossed my mind that it could exist:

"There are a number of self published books that come out of nowhere but have hundreds of positive reviews attached to them but often times the five star reviews come from two sources: someone who only has one review and someone who has only five star reviews.

It is possible that these authors are buying their way to success using places like Fiverr wherein people with REAL NAME accounts offer up a review for $5.00. Sometimes the purchase of the book is included in the $5.00 offer."

I love the people complaining that their fake reviews they bought weren't good enough.