Sujal's Reviews > Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Jul 19, 12

Read from April 02 to July 18, 2012

I finally decided to ignore sleep and finish this book last night. I'm glad I did.

By now, you've heard the standard comments about this book. Yes, it's not flattering to Jobs. Yes, it provides a lot of insight and details that I hadn't heard anywhere else including directly from Jobs himself, and so on. Instead want to share my reasons for loving this book.

Jobs is a hero of mine. I didn't realize this until he passed away… I'm not one to have heroes, quite honestly, and I don't know if I could honestly name another. But Jobs was one, and it took his death to understand how much I respected him and how much he impacted my life and my career.

The book opened up another side of this man: his demons, his quirks, and his warts. He's not a perfect man, and that made him more real to me. I got to know this hero better than I ever did. At the end of the entire thing, I understood that these flaws are part of his success, and that his failings were human failings. He's not perfect, which makes his achievement in his professional life even more amazing.

Heroes aren't perfect, whether they're Jobs or Gandhi. Isaacson manages to humanize him without diminishing his accomplishments. Great read, and great tidbits scattered throughout.

(I went into this book a little wary based on some early reviews. I'm happy I ignored those and read it.)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Jobs.